A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > General Education Archives

Old 11-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Comrade

Wainwright, Alberta, Canada
5th Grade Teacher
Creative Lesson Closures

Hi All,

My Teacher Associate does not really do any closure activities that I can see, but for my student teaching obligations i must have a intro and a closure for each lesson. I've done some review talks: "So what did we cover today..." and I've had the kids fill out a pictoral exit sheet. I'm going to have them draw something about what they have learned for the lessons next week.

I teach K-3 Phys Ed, Grade 3 Math and Grade 3 Science.

Do you know of any other types of creative closures I can do to make my evaluation happy as well as the students?

Thanks,

Mr. Skinner

Old 11-25-2006, 05:07 AM
Multitudinous

Ontario, Canada
Grade 7
One of the gym teachers I worked with had a 4 level participation rubric posted high on the wall by the gym door. As the students exited, they would jump up and "slap" the card that showed their level of participation in the activities that day.
For Math or Science, they could each get an index card and write one important word from the day's lesson on the card and hand it in as a "ticket out". The next day, you could use the cards as a quick review.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:24 AM
Comrade

"Ticket out" is great and can be used at any level. I call it "Ticket to leave." In my first grade it may be "Gell me one thing about..." or "Give one observation about the design (or pattern) we made" before moving on to the next activity.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:54 AM
Comrade

5th Grade Teacher
sounds good.

how long should the closure activty be? 2 minutes?
Old 11-25-2006, 10:55 AM
Comrade

I only do it before they transition to a place where they can be independently busy. Never make everyone wait while one child is thinking. For example, before you go to your center, your ticket to leave is to tell me..." Then as they write or verbalize their answer, they can go on to the next activity. It works best when they can write their answer down as then, no one has to wait for anyone else!
Old 11-25-2006, 11:08 AM
Comrade

5th Grade Teacher
cool thanks for the tip
Old 11-27-2006, 03:56 PM
Novice

Los Angeles, CA
An A-Z of what they have learned...this can be done independently or in groups. Do content/inquiry where kids say what they learned and some things they may have questions about.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Rookie

Maryland
Summary Sam!

I have a little stuffed cat that lives under my chair and his name is Summary Sam - Summary Sam sleeps A LOT and always misses our lessons and wants to know what happened when they are over. My 2nd graders love it and it's good to use whenever - but especially when my supervisor or principal comes in for a lesson and I didn't have a great closure planned! I make this whole show out of it. I'm the only one that can hear Summary Sam and he tells me who he wants to visit(someone wearing green, a long trip - someone far away, someone with pigtails) they are stare around the room to see who he wants to visit. Then I toss him to them and they start a summary and he goes around and people add to it. I don't know how well this would work with older grades, but I know the young ones love it and so do I!
Old 12-02-2006, 01:01 AM
Comrade

5th Grade Teacher
Awesome Idea, thanks.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:27 AM
Cohort

nj
3rd grade inclusion
Pair-share is also another good one in which the children partner up and share with their partner what they learned from the lesson that day.

Tags
closures, creative, lesson