A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > New Teachers Archives

Old 11-19-2006, 09:32 AM
Habitué

USA
Special Education Teacher
Please critique my teaching philosophy!

I am a graduate student pursuing a Masters in Elementary Education and we need to develop a philosophy of education for our portfolios. I have SO much to say, but wanted to limit it to one page. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Educate…
I believe exceptional classroom management skills are the foundation for a productive learning environment. When expectations and procedures are clear and consistent, learning can take place. I believe in building a sense of community in the classroom and promoting positive relationships among students and teachers. Students must feel they are in a safe, fair, and comfortable environment where they can equally contribute by sharing and gaining knowledge. I believe all students are capable of learning. My constant goal as an educator is to ensure every student reaches his or her full academic potential. Differentiated instruction will be provided to accommodate all learning styles, abilities, and interests. I believe in using variety of alternate assessments and will provide individual feedback. I will promote an active learning environment where students will be encouraged to interpret, analyze, and predict information. As an educator, I will take advantage of the unique opportunity to teach beyond the mandated standards.

Motivate…
Students who are fully engaged in the learning process will not only retain information, but also will be motivated to learn more. I believe in encouraging students to take responsibility for learning and to develop a pride for their own work. Implementing intrinsic motivation in the classroom will help foster a passion for learning. I believe in being patient, yet persistent when reaching out to students. Although I will focus on appealing to students’ intrinsic motivations, I will also use a variety of extrinsic motivators when appropriate.

Inspire…
I believe the teacher must be an inspirational role model. In order to inspire students, a teacher must establish exceptional classroom management skills, an effective education curriculum and constant motivation. The purpose of education is not only to enable students to become successful in their lives, but also to teach them how to be responsible and positive contributors to society. I will continue to stay inspired by furthering my education through endorsements/advanced degrees and by staying informed about the current educational reforms. My ultimate goal as a teacher is to educate, motivate and inspire students to value lifelong learning.

Old 11-19-2006, 10:11 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
I'm secondary, not elementary. But here goes anyway:

Do you want some sort of a lead-in: something along the lines of the three concepts to follow being the hallmarks of a good teacher or something? I think you need an intro to tie it all together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNewbie

Educate…
I believe exceptional classroom management skills are the foundation for a productive learning environment.

----I personally would say "consistent" as opposed to "exceptional." There are some times-- actually a lot, when you're flying by the seat of your pants here.

When expectations and procedures are clear and consistent, learning can take place. I believe in building a sense of community in the classroom and promoting positive relationships among students and teachers. Students must feel they are in a safe, fair, and comfortable environment where they can equally contribute by sharing and gaining knowledge. I believe

-"that"??
all students are capable of learning. My constant goal as an educator is to ensure
--"that"??
every student reaches his or her full academic potential.
-- only academic?? There's so much more, particularly in elementary ed.

Differentiated instruction will be provided to accommodate all learning styles, abilities, and interests. I believe in using variety of alternate assessments and will provide individual feedback. I will promote an active learning environment where students will be encouraged to interpret, analyze, and predict information. As an educator, I will take advantage of the unique opportunity to teach beyond the mandated standards.
-- be careful here. As a new teacher, going beyond the standards may be a problem-- having all your kids hit them is a huge goal in and of itself. Maybe add in "where possible" or something similar??

Motivate…
Students who are fully engaged in the learning process will not only retain information, but also will be motivated to learn more.

-Isn't that circular reasoning?
I believe in encouraging students to take responsibility for learning and to develop a pride for their own work. Implementing intrinsic motivation in the classroom will help foster a passion for learning. I believe in being patient, yet persistent when reaching out to students. Although I will focus on appealing to students’ intrinsic motivations, I will also use a variety of extrinsic motivators when appropriate.
-- Can you give any sort of examples?

Inspire…
I believe the teacher must be an inspirational role model. In order to inspire students, a teacher must establish exceptional classroom management skills, an effective education curriculum and constant motivation.
--- How is this different from your first two points?

The purpose of education is not only to enable students to become successful in their lives, but also to teach them how to be responsible and positive contributors to society. I will continue to stay inspired by furthering my education through endorsements/advanced degrees

- I'm pretty sure you don't want the slash. Change it to "and"

and by staying informed about the current educational reforms. My ultimate goal as a teacher is to educate, motivate and inspire students to value lifelong learning.
-- I would think that you can inspire by example-- show them how reading and math and social studies are all around them. Let them see you with a copy of a novel or the NY Times.
At their age, they pretty much assume that everyone goes to school until they graduate, and then they go to work. I'm not sure how much they'll be inspired by advanced degrees.

Hope that was some help. You have some good ideas there!!
Old 11-19-2006, 10:26 AM
Habitué

USA
Special Education Teacher
Thanks SO much for your help!

In response to some of your comments...

I'm having a hard time coming up with a lead-in without making it feel to "Harry Wong: first days of school" like. I know he uses a lot of those types of statements, which I love, but I can't decide how to write it just yet. I'll have to play around with that one. If I do add it, should it just be one sentence before "educate"?

I completely agree with the inspire by example comment. I took out first two sentences and added something along the lines of inspiring by example. I added the advanced degrees part because I want the principal or whoever is reading to notice my advocacy for lifelong learning. Do you think I should still include this, but maybe put something like, "On a professional level,...."

Thanks again!
Old 11-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
OK: confession time. I'm the ONLY educator in America who hasn't read Harry Wong. (He sounds great, but I have 3 small kids. If it isn't Barney or for a book report, most of the reading I do is the newspaper or here.)

How about something along the lines of this:
One of the major things we as teachers must do is teach our students to organize and classify information. In keeping with this spiirit, my philosophy of education is broken into three broad areas: Education, Motivation and Inspiration.

(Then I would change the headings in the philosophy to agree in tense.)

And I like the bit about "on a professional level"-- good luck!
Old 11-20-2006, 05:50 PM
Novice

The South
I would leave out "I believe." You use it frequently, and it becomes repetitive. Also, it's unnecessary.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:09 PM
Rookie

New Jersey
Kindergarten Teacher
I would give an example of how you inspire a child or how a teacher inspired you! Maybe make it a little personal- I would leave out the (I will continue to stay inspired by furthering my education through endorsements/advanced degrees and by staying informed about the current educational reforms)
Good Luck!
Old 11-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Comrade

CA
"I believe in encouraging students to take responsibility for learning and to develop a pride for their own work."

(Suggest changing to "develop pride in their work.")

I would want students to learn how to learn--how to teach themselves--so that they become successful life-long learners. You touch on it a little bit, but "responsibility for learning" is different. I would expand on this important point.

Overall--very excellent job writing and fantastic job from those giving feedback. What a community!

Tags
critique, philosophy, teaching