A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Early Childhood Education Archives

Old 11-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
How do you deal with kids not turning in homework?

I send home a weekly homework pack. They go home on Mondays and come back on Fridays. When they come back on Fridays, I go through the packs, put a stamp on the cover page, and put a check on my homework log. Now, I have kids, every now and then who won't turn in their homework. Sometimes they'll bring them in the next Monday. That's fine. But, I'm working on report cards right now and I'm wondering that I definately could have done more to inform parnents about missing homework. Problem is, I can imagine them saying to me "We lost it. Can you get me another one?" I don't have time to go through all homework packs and make copies for the children who diddn't turn them in. This happend last year, which is why I was hesietent to let them know this year. It's not a major problem, but it's just a homework pack here and there. Also, each homework pack equals about 10 homework assingments. So, if one's missing, it looks like a lot is missing. So, what do you guys do? I'm trying to make my life and my parents life as easy as possible.

Old 11-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
My homework pack is sent home Monday but I check that each day' work is done every day. On Friday the kids must turn it in. If they don't do homework, I put a note in their folder to make up the missing work that evening. If the pack is missing on Friday I send a note in their Friday folder about the missing pack. On any day that HW is missing kids must sign my missing hw book. They can check their name off when they bring it in (hopefully the next day) but at least I have a record for when it is report card/conference time of how many hw were missed by each kiddo.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:45 PM
Habitué

North Georgia
5th Grade Teacher
Right now, I don't do anything. It is more the parents than the kids I think. But I want to teach them responsibility but most of my activities require guidance from an adult. They are the ones who aren't responsible.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:46 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Check homework daily and include a little 'parent initial' spot on each day's work for parents to sign.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:06 PM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
Right, I don't hold the kids accountable. My homework packs require parents assistents as their are games and stuff, but I like the idea of including a little note in their folder. Do parents ever ask you to give them a new pack if they lost it?? I do have an area where parents sign, but that's when it's all completed. The reason why I do a weekly pack is so that I don't have to check homework on a daily basis. I don't have an aide and it's just to make my life easier.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:44 PM
Habitué

On our report cards there is a area that says
"Completes and returns homework on time."
I certainly do mark the appropriate grade there.
We use 1, 2, 3, & 4's in this area. 1- Always, 2 - Frequently, 3- Sometimes, 4 - Needs Improvement. I do not hesitate to give out 3's and 4's if that is what they deserve. The parents need to start teaching their children about responsibility early.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
Right, on my report cards we actually write the number of homework assigned and how much was returned. Most of my kids are fine, but I also have some who are missing some. When parents get the report cards, I know some will think, "well, why didn't she tell us that he was missing so many!" Becauase I hav 19 other kids, assessments, interventions to do, lesson plans to prepare, paper work to fill out, an observation to get ready for, etc, etc, etc.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:30 AM
Magnifico

Kindergarten Teacher
If it hasn't been too long, don't sweat it, but I had a teacher wait 6 months to tell me my child missed 90% of his homework. I was pretty burned up. I wasn't getting any notices, I was looking at and signing my child's log book, and my child was telling me they don't get much homework in that class. I didn't know. 6 months. Nothing on his reportcard, progress notes, or anything else. Wow!
Old 11-11-2006, 11:16 AM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
Wow, DeafinlySmart, it wasn't even mentioned on the report cards! That's pretty bad!
Old 11-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Novice

NC
At our school, we check their homework daily. We have a disicipline policy at our school and not having your homework goes under not being responsible so therefore you get a tally mark for that. We keep a weekly behavioral chart with each students name listed and everytime that you have to call them down they get a tally and are moved levels. Not having homework gets you a tally plus it also gets you silent lunch at a table by yourself. You are allowed to eat lunch and then you have to complete your homework. Plus on the weekly folders that I send home I send their behavior for that week and also let the parents know which assignments and which days they did not bring in their homework.

Tags
deal, homework, kids, turning