A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Special Education Archives

Old 11-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Newcomer

Missouri
Diaper changing in elementary

What is required of a teacher or para professional? Are public schools required to provide people to change diapers of elementary students who aren't potty trained and are physically and mentally handicapped? Has anyone had to deal with this?

Old 11-04-2006, 07:20 PM
Devotee

New York
Graduate Student
I changed my students in the past.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Cohort

Pennsylvania
I know there are several kids who need diapers changed in our Life Skills classes. Usually the para does it, but I know the teacher would do it also if needed.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:24 PM
Devotee

Ontario, Canada
Middle School Teacher
I certainly would not. If I wanted to do that I would have gone into medicine.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Companion

SW Wisconsin
It appears as though the medical field has crossed lines with the world of education I'm guessing it falls under a "need" which is varied by child in spec ed.

I don't work with students with a need such as that, but if that were the case, I guess it would be part of my job - I may request a para of the same sex to handle it if possible.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:21 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Students in my building who need toileting assistance have a one-on-one para. When would a teacher have time to do diapering? I don't have that time- my schedule is time compressed as far as my classroom/ student-teacher contact time. When the kids go to a 'special', that's my prep time (and maybe I get to go to the bathroom MYSELF!!)
Old 11-05-2006, 09:30 PM
Comrade

Texas
ABA Therapist
Well Ultimately the teacher is responsible for the student and that includes diapering, I know many paras do it, but if you are using a lift and the studetn falls out while a para is doing it, then both the teacher and para are at fault but the teacher more because that is their responsibility. Same if the students gets a diaper rash at school from not being change, and the para did not change it, the person that will get called on the rug will be the teacher. But, yes at our school the Para does change diapers, the only reason I went on this tireade is because our teacher in that class had the para changing the childs diaper and our students are teeanagers and there was an issue with the whole diapering thing and the teacher spouted off , well it is my paras fault she changes the diapers and the school board said, no it is your fault you are the teacher, if the para is changing you need to be in there too to make sure the students best interest were at hand. the aid was saved from her job but on probation and the teacher fired.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:04 AM
Comrade

Wainwright, Alberta, Canada
5th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by czacza
Students in my building who need toileting assistance have a one-on-one para. When would a teacher have time to do diapering? I don't have that time- my schedule is time compressed as far as my classroom/ student-teacher contact time. When the kids go to a 'special', that's my prep time (and maybe I get to go to the bathroom MYSELF!!)
I agree,

You won't have time.

If you are alone, have another adult with you in your class to supervise, and also to CYA (Cover your ...)
Old 11-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Devotee

Ontario, Canada
Middle School Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggles1100
Well Ultimately the teacher is responsible for the student and that includes diapering, I know many paras do it, but if you are using a lift and the studetn falls out while a para is doing it, then both the teacher and para are at fault but the teacher more because that is their responsibility. Same if the students gets a diaper rash at school from not being change, and the para did not change it, the person that will get called on the rug will be the teacher. But, yes at our school the Para does change diapers, the only reason I went on this tireade is because our teacher in that class had the para changing the childs diaper and our students are teeanagers and there was an issue with the whole diapering thing and the teacher spouted off , well it is my paras fault she changes the diapers and the school board said, no it is your fault you are the teacher, if the para is changing you need to be in there too to make sure the students best interest were at hand. the aid was saved from her job but on probation and the teacher fired.
This definitely a charged issue for some (I'm one of them) If I was ever told I would be responsible for changing diapers, I would quit. That is NOT teaching.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Habitué

California
the other poster is from missouri, so the answer...in the U.S. yes. the school must meet the needs of a student with exceptionalities unless this is unfeasible, in which case the school must provide adequate funding and transportation for a child to attend another school that can. that is not a direct quote but the gist of how the Americans with Disabilities Act works in our school system.

Tags
changing, diaper, elementary