A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 09:48 PM
Comrade

Kindercare Employees

Just curious- what's your position and how much to you make? Are the hours usually consistent? I'm thinking of applying.

Old 10-31-2006, 01:23 PM
Aficionado

Wisconsin
Former Pre-K and Elem. Teacher
Just my two cents, but I would never work for them. They pay for crud, their turnover is extremely high, and their benefits stink. They are a crappy chain hidden by a fancy name. No thanks...never. I'd much rather work for a private smaller center. I have nothing good to say about "chains". They're only in it for the money.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:24 PM
Cohort

Collingswood, NJ
Assistant Principal
I am the Center Director of a KinderCare in NJ. There are high turnover rates and low pay in all chain childcare centers. My experiences with KinderCare have been mixed. I have worked at 3 centers as a teacher and have had really good experiences and bad ones too. It greatly depends on the director and the staff working at the center. At my center we pay what other centers in the area pay. We do not have a high turnover rate because we have a very dedicaed staff, great parents, and we are a team. The company is out to make money...that is what companies are about. However, since my background is in education I focus a LOT on the educational aspects of my classrooms and staff. Since directors of the centers come from all different backgrounds (some education, a lot business majors), centers are all run in different ways and with an emphasis on different aspects of the business.

Apply, interview, ask questions about the benefits and pay... see how you feel about the center. I always let perspective staff freely talk to my current staff and ask questions. The new policy is also that before a new staff member is hired, the come back to teach a short lesson... so that will allow you to get more of a feel and see more of what is going on in the center.

If you want to ask more specific questions or want to know anything else, PM me or send an email. I'd be happy to help in any way I can.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:11 PM
Comrade

Thanks. I currently have a pretty good position at another private center, but the management sucks and tries to skim around the rules instead of doing what's best for the kids, at times. They also tend to cut back on staff hours instead of providing a consistent schedule. So this is the first time that I feel in a position to actively inquire about the job while interviewing. (Even though you always want to know what you're getting yourself into, I feel like I have more leverage this time around). We'll see what happens...
Old 11-01-2006, 05:34 PM
Comrade

massachusetts
I teach kindergarten in a Kindercare in Massachusetts and am very happy. I have worked in public school, private, and now in a corporate owned. They all have their drawbacks. I have a terrific director who is very focused on doing what is best for the children. This makes a world of difference. Just realize that Kindercare is a for profit company and is very interested in the bottom line. But as I said earlier I very much enjoy working for them.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Aficionado

Wisconsin
Former Pre-K and Elem. Teacher
I'm glad to hear there are some properly ran Kindercare's out there, because all the ones by me are all really in need of some turn around.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Aficionado

OREGON
I, too, have worked for KinderCare. I have mixed feelings about them, but I do respect their ability to focus upon the needs of the children.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:35 AM
Newcomer

i am not an employee of Kindercare but have been a childcare teacher for a few years at a couple other group childcare centers. This is why I should've known better than put my son in one. He has been at Kindercare for 3 months & is 2. He has been non-stop sick since he's been there. About 3 wks ago he was diagnosed with Pneumonia and a double ear infection that was the final straw. Back to home day care is where he belongs. When you find a good home day care the quality is unbeatable and the price is much better. Kindercare staff treat you like a number, the teacher for the most part are not parents themselves...my child had a hard time "conforming" to the group mentality there and they didn't have a clue how to help. I am not saying they are bad teachers at all. What is disappointing is the constant change in teachers in the 2 yr old room from day to day and the communication about my child between them was non-existent. He had a yeast infection and the day his one reg. teacher wasn't there, no one gave him his medication. After only 2.5 months in his room they abruptly told me when I was picking him up that he was moving the next room. I was very alarmed to hear this and upset. I was told they sent papers out about this but this was not true I never got any notice and besides when do you switch a childs room and teachers after such a short time. Needless to say, putting my child in this place was similar to putting them in a busy intersection. It has many of the impersonal traits group centers have had that I have worked at. The amount of sickness is unreal and unacceptable. The communication between teachers, directors and parents is fair to very poor. You do not get your money's worth on any level at the center in NE Wisconsin. That said, I feel group daycare in general is not a good choice. Word to the wise, find an experienced mother who is credited or licensed and has a home day care. My son will start at a wonderful home daycare this month, thank the gods!
Old 12-07-2006, 04:06 PM
Devotee

California
Early Childhood Teacher
We have several Kindercares within 10 miles of each other. The quality of each center varies greatly. One center is constantly out of compliance in regards to staffing ration and educational requirements and another is fantastic and NAEYC approved! You have to treat each as a separate entity.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:05 PM
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilmama
i am not an employee of Kindercare but have been a childcare teacher for a few years at a couple other group childcare centers. This is why I should've known better than put my son in one. He has been at Kindercare for 3 months & is 2. He has been non-stop sick since he's been there. About 3 wks ago he was diagnosed with Pneumonia and a double ear infection that was the final straw. Back to home day care is where he belongs. When you find a good home day care the quality is unbeatable and the price is much better. Kindercare staff treat you like a number, the teacher for the most part are not parents themselves...my child had a hard time "conforming" to the group mentality there and they didn't have a clue how to help. I am not saying they are bad teachers at all. What is disappointing is the constant change in teachers in the 2 yr old room from day to day and the communication about my child between them was non-existent. He had a yeast infection and the day his one reg. teacher wasn't there, no one gave him his medication. After only 2.5 months in his room they abruptly told me when I was picking him up that he was moving the next room.
Wow, that made me so sad to read, especially as a 2's teacher. It does seem to me like our center doesn't necessarily give much notice when moving children up. Thankfully we don't change teachers/assistants that much, but I had to fight for my hours. They would have rather paid the assistants to stay than pay the lead salary. Time and again they've seen how the kids and parents love me, so now I am getting a raise!
Closed Thread

Tags
employees, kindercare