A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Special Education Archives

Old 10-29-2006, 10:50 PM
Newcomer

Los Angeles
RSP QUESTIONS FOR SOON TO BE TEACHER

Hi everyone,
I'm currently in my first year in an ma program for moderate/severe and have been doing my required gen. ed student observation hours. I was approached by the administration about becoming an RSP teacher there. I was interviewed and was told I was eligible to be hired as a provisional intern permit (this is LA Unified School District). I have never taught before, although I have worked for five years in various placements with a wide range of special needs populations. This would not be a pull out program that they are offering, but working with 16-18 teachers per week at this high school. I've been told that working with some of the gen ed teachers at this school is quite difficult as they see their role as the teacher and the RSP teacher as more of a subordinate. Can someone give me some pros and cons to the RSP position, when it's not pull out? Ideally I want my own classroom, but I'll be going down this week to the high school to observe the current RSP teachers to see if this would be a good fit.
Anyway, thanks to those that took the time to read this,
Alex

Tags
questions, rsp, teacher