A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Early Childhood Education Archives

Old 10-24-2006, 06:56 PM
Rookie

West Virginia
2 year old lesson

Ok for my early childhood class I'm doing a clinical in a daycare and I am in the 2 year old room. We have to do 2 lessons while we are there. We have 18 two year olds in my class, but the activities are to be small group. There is no forced participation just encouragement. During the time that I am there the children are in the gym so I probably need something gross motor or such. Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 10-25-2006, 08:10 PM
Novice

Indiana
My children's favorite gross motor game is playing with trash balls. We all got together and made balls out of newspaper and then taped the balls to form a circle, after we had about 20 balls we took out a laundry basket and have children shoot. Another fun activity is having available cardboard blocks or you can make them by placing newspaper inside tissue boxes and then covering them with contact paper. Then encorage the children to stack the blocks and then take small balls to knock the buildings down (the kids love knocking the buildings down). Another fun game is having an obstacle course having the children go through tunnels, jumping through hula hoops, walking on a jump rope, boucing balls into a basket. Hope the ideas help.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:40 PM
Rookie

Wisconsin, USA
One of my two's favorite games is the parachute bean bag one. We have a big parachute, which is really a flat sheet and throw bean bags on it. They all stand in a circle and shake the sheet, causing the bags to go up and down.

Keep in mind- two year old's LOVE anything destructive.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:56 PM
Comrade

I just went to a conference and one of the presenter's suggestions was using bath poofs as "popcorn" on a parachute, which sounded cute. Do you know anymore about the requirements of your lesson or the equipment they have there?
Old 10-27-2006, 07:57 PM
Comrade

And why would anyone ever put 18 two-year-olds together?
Old 10-28-2006, 08:30 PM
Rookie

West Virginia
lol yep 18 and usually they are all there..their ratio is 9 2's to every 1 teacher and 10 3's to every 1 teacher so they have 20 in the 3 year old classroom.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:43 PM
Maven

U.S.A.
Retired Preschool Teacher
That's too many.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:31 AM
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaLove2Teach
lol yep 18 and usually they are all there..their ratio is 9 2's to every 1 teacher and 10 3's to every 1 teacher so they have 20 in the 3 year old classroom.
Our ratio is 8 to 1, but there's a limit as to how many we can have in our classroom. Even if your room is bigger, I can't see any reason why someone would want to put that many together.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:01 PM
Maven

U.S.A.
Retired Preschool Teacher
In WI, we can the ratio is 6 two year olds to one teacher...and they can only have 12 total with 2 teachers. Even that is too many, but beats 18! I would not send my child to a center with that high of a ratio.Two year olds need more one on one.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:10 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
How about investing in some long sheets of bubble wrap? Tape them to the floor and have the kids stomp on them. The kids LOVE it and it's a little different.

Tags
lesson, year