A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > General Education Archives

Old 10-18-2006, 05:30 PM
Companion

Arizona
Special Education Teacher
Students who throw up in class

So, our nurse and our janitor at our school aren't helpful. On more than one occasion I've had a student throw up in my class. If I send them to the nurse, she sends them back without calling home and everytime they throw up again. And the janitor doesn't like to do ANYTHING!! So, he gave me a bag of stuff to put on the throw up. He won't even come in and do it himself. I have to do it. And then it sits there all day long! It smells bad and I think it's disgusting. But because the stuff kills the bacteria, he thinks it's okay to leave it there. So, this happened again today in the morning. And while the kids were in lunch I was sitting in the teachers lounge (I don't normally eat in there) because I didn't want to be in my classroom with the throw up and I started crying because I was so mad. My principal saw me and took me into her office and we talked. The janitor would not come clean it up, so they called in the night janitor (who's a doll and I wish she worked all the time) and she came in 3 hours early just so she could clean the throw up off my floor.

But the point is, I don't care if it kills the bacteria. I still don't think it's sanitary to have it laying on the floor all day. This has to be some kind of health code violation, doesn't it? And what about the nurse? How hard is it to call the parents and say,"hey, your kid threw up in class. Come get them."

Old 10-18-2006, 05:34 PM
Habitué

That is awful!!!! It should be cleaned up right away and your principal should make sure it is. Besides being gross sitting there what if someone slipped on the mess and got hurt. Why does the janitor feel it is not his job to clean it up. That's disgusting!
Old 10-18-2006, 05:36 PM
Magnifico

Kindergarten Teacher
It isn't a conductive learning environment. It's a distraction if nothing else.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:37 PM
Groupie

Arizona
Homeschool teacher
did your principal adress that? I would think that the nurse should and the janitor should do thier jobs.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Aficionado

Massachusetts
5th Grade Teacher
That is disgusting!
I know that the stuff they put on it kills the bacteria and absorbs the moisture so a lot of times they let it sit for a little bit before cleaning it up, but there's no reason why it should be on your floor all day long!
Old 10-18-2006, 05:44 PM
Magnifico

Kindergarten Teacher
Depending on what grade you are in and if you classes rotate or not, but I would think this would be a little humiliating to the student who has to be reminded (along with classmates who remind the person) all day about their embarassing mishap.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:18 PM
Enthusiast

Vomit is an automatic ticket home in our school. The kid goes to the nurse and is not to be returned to school until 24 hours after the last episode of vomiting. (so, if a child throws up at 10 AM, he/she is not allowed at school the next day until at least 10:01. We've had parents sit in their cars, knowing that they can't bring them at 9:55...which strikes me as hilarious. We wouldn't be THAT precise on the timing!)

As for your janitor, what's his problem? He took a job as a janitor in a school. There is a certain amount of yuck factor involved in that. Vomit, blood, feces, urine...it's part of the job. Your principal shouldn't allow him to not do his job. That's just wrong.
Kim
Old 10-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Companion

Canada
At our school, every classroom teacher has a plastic basin that is solely for kids who feel ill. It still has to be cleaned up of course, and the basin disinfected, but at least it is not all over the floor or someone's desk. Maybe investing in a basin for your own classroom would be a good idea.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:37 PM
Phenom

Sp. Ed. Teacher
Ours are not sent home unless they have a temperature of 101. I have had the school nurse send students back to my classroom after throwing up because they do not have a temperature of at least 101.

I have even had students return to my class with diareah (sp?). Parents are phoned but a lot of them choose not to pick up their child. I have even had a parent drop off clean clothes and leave an extra set for their child, so they can leave their child at school .
Old 10-18-2006, 07:09 PM
Comrade

NC
We have a nurse a few hours a week so it's basically up to the teacher and the parent(s) if the child goes home or not. If a child throws up in my room - I call home and ask them to come get the child. Last year there was no AM custodian so I had to clean it. This year, either my assistant does it or we hunt down one of the janitors.

Tags
class, students, throw