A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Behavior Management Archives

Old 10-16-2006, 06:00 PM
Comrade

massachusetts
Adhd child in kindergarten

I am at my wits end. I have a child in my full day kindergarten class who was tested through the public schools and tentatively diagnosed as adhd and impulsive. He is not on any meds nor receiving any services. I work in a private school and basically do not have many, if any, resources to call on. I am pretty much on my own. This boy is in CONSTANT motion! He talks incessantly- to himself, other students and me. He acts on ALL his impulses. I have tried seating him away from distractions and with peers who are the "role models" in the class. I allow him to stand, if he desires, while doing his work , praise his positive behaviors, and stress that he needs to try to think about the choices he makes whether they are good or not so good(I hate the word bad!) Nothing seems to work. I have tried giving him objects to manipulate to keep his hands busy in the hopes it will slow his body down but to no avail. He either chews them (he is a thumb sucker) or throws them. He is a very big distraction and I spend most of my day and all my energy redirecting and/or dealing with the outcome of his impulses. I guess I'm just looking for any other strategies to help him. His parents don't work with him at home. They either yell at him or let him do what wants, or send him to his grandparents. Help!

Old 10-17-2006, 08:59 AM
Comrade

Pennsylvania
Kids who have ADHD and who are also impulsive, make us feel and behavein much the same way. You must realize this and work hard to stay on an even keel yourself. You really don't know what goes on at home, so I would not waste energy speculating. At this point, it doesn't matter anyway.

I would suggest that you continue providing structured and age (and classroom) appropriate ways for this child to have opportunities for motion.
Talking with this child is excellent. Point out the things that he is doing correctly and look for opportunities to point out the behavior that is troublesome... ("I like seeing that you want to be involved in this activity, great job! Let's talk about how your behavior is making it hard for the other kids to welcome you to the group.")

Take your time with the parents. They have been dealing with their son for a longer time than you. Point out the positives. Slowly build a relationship. Over time, let them know how they can help (by also kindly pointing out the behavior that is getting in the way...ect.).

No advice that you get will solve this problem simply. You are going to have to work with this child over the long-term and it will be trying. If you realize the normal human response of behaving toward your students as they behave, and work to remain calm and collected. This will help you enormously.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:49 AM
Rookie

georgia
My nephew is 5 and ADHD and very impulsive. Visual behavior charts work very well for him. My sister created a dog house with five puppy dogs. Every time he doesn't behave she takes a dog out of the house. When all the dogs are gone he loses his favorite toy for the day. She constantly talks to him - reminding him what is expected and highly praising him when he does great. Also - she changes out the dogs to power rangers - or fish in a fish bowl so that he doen't get bored with them. Taking the toy away has been great for him. He hates to lose his toys. You could also do a visual chart where he earns rewards. Children with ADHD do not have much impulse control. I know that he is hard to manage. Hang in there, I am a CHRISTIAN and believe that GOD puts each child in our classes for a reason. Hang in there - you can do it.

Tags
adhd, child, kindergarten