A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 10-16-2006, 09:59 AM
Rookie

Ohio
A few classroom management questions

Hi. I am getting ready for my student teaching and to prepare for this I am doing an independent study on classroom management. I have a few questions about classroom management and I'd love to know how you are managing your classroom. If you could answer any of the following questions, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

What are your students expected to do when they arrive in the morning?

What do your students do if they finish their work early?

What is your behavior management plan? (rules, consequences, rewards, etc.)

How do you build a classroom community?

What are some of the most significant things you have learned about classroom management throughout the years?

Old 10-16-2006, 07:29 PM
Cohort

Texas
5th Grade Reading
What are your students expected to do when they arrive in the morning?

My students put up their backpacks, take out their folders and put them in the basket, take out their books (we check out leveled readers everyday from the library) and put them in the basket. They then line up at the door to go check out new library books. When we get back to the room, they go to their backpacks, put tehir books up and then come to the floor to begin our day.

What do your students do if they finish their work early?

Students can read library books, read books from their book baskets, or write in their "free journal"

What is your behavior management plan? (rules, consequences, rewards, etc.)

Our rules are color coded (red=not talking while teaching is teaching/raise hand/listen. orange=keep hands/obects to self. yellow=respect other's property. green=follow directions
blue= show respect. purple=no running in building/cutting in line. Whichever rule the students break, they will pull a corresponding ticket. Students recieve time-out and loss of recess for tickets pulled. In the students folder at the end of the day, we put the color of marks in their folder for which rule they broke. There is a color code of rules in their folders so their parents know which rule they broke. My students are rewarded if they are following rules (I randomly find students being good and give them stickers for their chart. once students fill their charts their can pick from the prize box) Students also recieve daily, weekly and monthly rewards. (daily is a sticker for their chart, weekly is a small toy, monthly is a goody bag and certificate presented at a small awards ceremony on the last day of the month)

How do you build a classroom community?

By showing my students that I care about all of them! I do not allow students to insult each other, we do a lot of group work, and we cheer each other on when someone has accomplishments. Showing students you care about them (praise, compliments, asking about their day, lots of hugs in kinder!!!) really gets students to want to work hard and become a team.

What are some of the most significant things you have learned about classroom management throughout the years?

You have to be consistent!!! Set your expectations and stick to them, students will follow the rules if your expectations are always consistent! If you don't have good classroom management, you will not be able to teach!

I have also learned that praise works wonders!!! Its something you almost have to train yourself to do, because its easier to pick out the negative behaviors, but if you pick out the positives students will react to that because most students (especially the young ones, want to please!)
Old 10-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Rookie

Ohio
thanks!

Thanks so much for responding to my questions. It was a big help.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:54 AM
Companion

I have a classroom management plan at http://www.classroommanagementforteachers.com
Old 10-17-2006, 11:09 AM

Florida
What are your students expected to do when they arrive in the morning? Students go to their lockers, bring what they need to the classroom, place their homework on their desks so I can check for completion, work on the problem of the day.

What do your students do if they finish their work early? Read, write in their writing journals.

What is your behavior management plan? (rules, consequences, rewards, etc.) Treat yourself, others, and property with respect. Consequences are: reminders, letters of apology, note home, a meeting with assistant head of school.

How do you build a classroom community? We share fun time with games, we follow a consistent morning routine which includes singing and morning calendar.

What are some of the most significant things you have learned about classroom management throughout the years? You can have a great deal of structure (and should) without sacrificing fun, you must demand and expect the best from your students, parents should not help with homework, you must constantly work to negate the influence of television, computers, and a rush-rush mentality, it's okay to treat yourself well in order to do your best as the teacher.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:39 AM
Rookie

Ohio
Thanks for the great help! I really learned a lot from everyone who responded to my questions.

Tags
classroom, management, questions