A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives


 
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-09-2006, 09:01 AM
februarybaby2856 februarybaby2856 is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 44
connecticut
Candles burning on teachers desks/fire hazard/asthma problems?

I am teaching in a private school, and am concerned about teachers who burn candles on their desks in their classrooms.

First, it would seem to be a fire hazard...a serious one.

Secondly, one of my students and I both had to use our inhalers due to a "smelly" candle that was waifing (sp?) throughout the school from one classroom.

Any thoughts or similar problems?

I am going to email the principal about this tomorrow.

 
  #2  
Old 10-09-2006, 09:14 AM
Mrs_Goatess's Avatar
Mrs_Goatess Mrs_Goatess is offline
Comrade
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 323
Florida
High School U.S. History
Do email! An open flame in an elementary school is a horrible accident waiting to happen. Don't be afraid to speak out!
  #3  
Old 10-09-2006, 09:32 AM
wunderwhy's Avatar
wunderwhy wunderwhy is offline
Comrade
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 332
Virginia
A lit candle? No matter what age the students, that is a hazard! I am glad you are saying something!
  #4  
Old 10-09-2006, 09:40 AM
love2teach's Avatar
love2teach love2teach is offline
Connoisseur
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,782
yeah.....fire and children......not a good mix!
  #5  
Old 10-09-2006, 12:45 PM
ChristyF's Avatar
ChristyF ChristyF is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 5,367
Louisiana
4th Grade Teacher
Our fire marshall has prevented us from burning candles for a couple of years now. Some use candle warmers, some just use plug ins. My mom has terrible allergies to most fragrances. Just walking by an open door with a candle burning will have her throat closing in seconds. Since her troubles became so severe, I have become much more aware about the "smells" in my room.
__________________
Be the change you want to see in the world.
  #6  
Old 10-09-2006, 02:54 PM
jenglish97's Avatar
jenglish97 jenglish97 is offline
Devotee
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,022
USA
Nice way to bring up the candle incident since October is Fire Prevention Month... In fact this week is Fire Prevention Week.
Anyway, it is illegal to burn candles in our school. Do email the principal about this problem. You should not have to suffer because someone wants to burn a candle at a work place.
  #7  
Old 10-09-2006, 03:25 PM
MrsMikesell's Avatar
MrsMikesell MrsMikesell is offline
Cohort
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 505
Florida
1st Grade Teacher
I worked in a Catholic school and students were used to candles for Mass, but I can't imagine one on my desk.

If a classroom is stinky, try Febreeze!

Kelly
  #8  
Old 10-09-2006, 04:49 PM
WITeach's Avatar
WITeach WITeach is offline
Comrade
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 468
Wisconsin
2nd Grade Teacher
At my school, we are not allowed to burn candles or use the candle warmers. I would definitely be worried about the open flame. That's definitely an accident waiting to happen!
  #9  
Old 10-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Aliceacc's Avatar
Aliceacc Aliceacc is offline
Multitudinous
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 26,838
NEW YORK
Math teacher
With the occasional horror stories about school fires, I cannot imagine why any teacher would choose to burn a candle in a school. For mass, yes-- it's part of a religious service, away from paper and little hands But in a classroom-- NO WAY! Buy some potpourri, but don't endanger the lives of hundreds of kids because you want to create a little atmosphere. A stray breeze and a piece of loose leaf are all it would take for a huge crisis!
  #10  
Old 10-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Tbelle1035's Avatar
Tbelle1035 Tbelle1035 is offline
Comrade
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 497
How scary. This needs to be reported before it becomes a tragic accident.
Sometimes our builing smells moldy and I will use a product from the supermarket called Renuzit. It costs about $1 and last for about a month. Gives off a nice scent.
Of course if you have students with fragrance allergies, then I wouldn't suggest getting one.
 

Tags
burning, candles, desks or fire, hazard or asthma, problems, teachers

Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off










All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:01 AM.


Copyright © 1997-2010 A to Z Teacher Stuff, L.L.C.  All Rights Reserved.
Use of this site signifies your agreement to the terms of use.
Questions, comments, and suggestions: Contact Us
Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.