A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Early Childhood Education Archives

Old 10-08-2006, 05:55 PM
Novice

Louisiana
Teaching counting to 20

I am shocked that some of my kinder students cant count to 20. About half can, half cant. Half came from one preschool class where they obviuosly taught nothing. The kids who can count all came from another preschool classroom. I got one from the "good class" (for lack of a better name) who has been reading since last December! The others from the "bad class" dont know all their letter sounds......

Back to my dilemma....how do you teach the teen number (11-20) other than repitition and drilling? This is the only way I know but surely there must be more. This is my first uear teaching kinder by the way.

Thanks!

Old 10-08-2006, 06:06 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Don't be shocked. K's who can count to 20 are most likely doing it by rote. Many of them have little understanding of the significance of each number, conservation of number, etc. Counting IS K curriculum so please please do not lable one preK better over the other. Hopefully kids go to developmentally appropriate preKs (and K and 1st....etc) where pressure is not put on them to learn K curriculum. Many are simply not ready. It's early in the school year. Concentrate on real understanding of NUMBERS. What they look like, counting, writing the numbers. Understanding 'oneness' and 'twoness' and 'threeness'...If you can get them to REAL understanding of numbers to 10 this fall you are in good shape. (and I mean REAL UNDERSTANDING!!!!)
Try graphing, counting many many many things, counting on, etc etc.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:55 AM
Rookie

The Netherlands
I agree with czacza. It's not so much the counting that is important but the knowledge of the quantity that comes with the number is!
I would spend the first couple of months with numbers 1 to 10 and after that 11 to 20. You can start a counting project and stimulate the parents to practice at home. Good luck!
Old 10-13-2006, 04:21 AM

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
I agree with Czacza. But if you want a fun game to play. Have all students stand in a circle. Have your Star (or any student) pick a number between 10 and 20. That is the lucky number. Say student picked 17. That students starts by saying 1, and the next student says two and so on. When they get to 17 the student who said 17 has to sit down. The next student starts back at one. It is has always been one of my students favorite game every year!
I do it while waiting for the bus, or if we complete something early. This year I have a 5,6,8,9, and a 10 year old. They love it!
They usually pick counting by 2s, 5s or 10s.

Tags
counting, teaching