A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Secondary Education Archives

Old 10-03-2006, 02:37 AM
Rookie

Iowa
Ideas for Bell Ringers for Language Arts?

I teach 6th grade and I would like to use bellringers 2-3 times per week. (other school activities prevent everyday)

Does anyone have any suggestions for bellringers that aren't Daily Oral Language?

Thanks in advance,

Old 10-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Aficionado

Kentucky
Middle School Teacher
We use a "daily focus", which is a term or question related to what we're studying today. The one for my classroom today is a t-chart that compares fantasy & realistic fiction based on time, place, characters, and plot.

MacDonald publishing has small spiral books--almost index-card sized--that have prompts for every day. Some are creative, but there are lots of different ones.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Novice

Kentucky
I also use something akin to "daily focus". I ask a question that pertains to the topic of the day. I make these up myself and put them in my lesson plans, so that I can replicate them next year. I try to make these fun like "If you had unlimited power,what would you do with it?" Then I let them share their answers with the rest of the class. Some of them are quite funny.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Comrade

new mexico
You could also
*put a quote on the board and have kids respond to it
*have a Greek/Latin affix on board with meaning and have kids copy into notebook and think of as many words as they can that contain that prefix
*have a short poem on the overhead and have kids respond to it in different ways (writing, drawing, writing a similar poem)
Old 10-03-2006, 11:54 PM
Comrade

California
http://www.creativewritingprompts.com/

A list of 203 various prompts

http://www.writingfix.com/

Great ideas for how to get kids writing. They have an interactive plot generator that is great!

http://www.canteach.ca/elementary/prompts.html

Probably my favorite! Lots of prompt ideas.

How will you give your prompts? Will students get to choose from various prompts? The next time I do journals in a classroom, I have decided to post them around the room, 10-15, changing them out every two to three weeks, so students have a choice, but will write on the majority of the prompts. (There may be a free day in there a couple times.) I love having students write, but sometimes they can't connect to the prompt given.

Holliday, I love the idea of a short poem with various ways to respond!

I have also done one sheet for a week's worth of bell ringers, having some days be mroe reading and others more writing centered. If it was reading, I would have students pick up the reading for the day on their way into class to get them thinking. My students' favorite was the day I gave them a cartoon and had them finish the last frame and had them write about it.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:55 PM
Rookie

Iowa
Thanks for all these ideas. You're helping me think outside the box.

I think the problem I'm having with this is that I used to teach math and it's hard for me to think of a bellringer that is not solving a problem.

I will try some of these ideas. Thanks!
Old 10-04-2006, 08:42 AM
Comrade

new mexico
Great ideas, Katrinkit! I like having a variety of topics they can choose from...
I also give a "Monday Mind Bender" to my kids on Mon. in addition to the regular bell ringer. I usually show them a mystery object and have them guess what it might be (you can find weird pictures of hard to identify objects on the web, in magazines, etc.) or I show them a funny picture and have them come up with an appropriate caption. Sometimes I also use those word puzzles that show a common phrase but in picture form (like BIG MOUTH will be drawn as the word mouth written in large letters...).
Anyway, they enjoy a change of pace from the language arts content review I do each morning and since it's still critical and imaginiative thinking, I don't mind offering the variety.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:17 PM
Comrade

California
Oooh! Holliday, I like the idea of calling it a Monday Mind Bender. I want to do a bulletin board with a logic puzzle each week - I may change it to Weekly Mind Bender, but I am doing it! It seems kind of silly that I hadn't thought of that for the name though...

Some are pictures but here is another website for challenge problems...

www.brainbashers.com
Old 10-05-2006, 05:40 AM
Rookie

Iowa
word puzzles such as BIG MOUTH, etc.

Holliday:

You helped me remember that I bought a whole book of those word puzzles intending to use some for bellringers, and I don't know what I did with it!! I think I got the book from Lakeside Commodity, or LTD, or whatever that catalog is called. Now I just have to find the book.

I did my first bellringer yesterday. Nothing thrilling, common and proper nouns, singular and plurals. My son suggested using Excel (I'm not super at it, but I could do this okay) so I made it in a "fill in the box" kind of format, and now I've adapted it for the second day by having them fill in different kinds of examples.

I love this website!
Old 10-05-2006, 08:57 AM
Comrade

new mexico
I love this website, too!! There's always great ideas floating around.

I just remembered another bell ringer that my neighbor down the hall uses with her gifted kids. She puts up analogies on the overhead and the kids copy them down and figure them out. Once a week, she gives a short quiz over them. If they kept up with them daily, they ace the little quizzes. She spends a lot of time going over the different relationships represented by the analogies and once they get the hang of them, she has them make up their own that relate to novels they are reading or grammar stuff. It's pretty cool and I may be stealing it later this year!

Tags
arts, bell, ideas, language, ringers