A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Early Childhood Education Archives

Old 03-11-2003, 08:09 PM

Kindergarten Round-up

What kind of activities do you do at your Kindergarten Round-up? I am looking for something creative that gives the children an opportunity to see what Kindergarten is all about. (These activities also give me a "preview" of what next year's Kindergarten classes will be like.)

Old 03-15-2003, 11:59 AM
Aficionado

Michigan
All we do is let the parents & children visit the rooms. The rest is registering kids for school. My children's school has the PTA take the kids to go play while the teacher, prinicpal and latchkey talk to parents. Then they register the kids, take teacher and session requests. They don't show the kids the rooms.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:23 AM
angiestrickler

We have kindergarten registration day in April. At that time, the children do their speech and health screenings, and take the Brigance kindergarten readiness test. (This helps us with placement in the fall.) They also sign up to come to school and visit for one full day in the month of May. On their visitation day, parents bring them to school about 30 minutes after the other children arrive, and come back to pick them up about 30 minutes before the others go home. They spend the day learning what kindergarten is all about from the "old pros" who have been with me since the fall. They are treated as one of the class and do everything we do throughout the day. This is a great way to teach them about coming to school in the fall, plus it eases amny of the first-day fears when "real" school begins. We have had a lot of positive feedback from parents saying that their child enjoyed the day and was ready for school to begin immediatly.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:44 PM

Question

I have a question related to Kindergarten Registration -
Do you complete Kindergarten Screenings at the round-up or at a later time?

I am also looking for information about screenings for students entering Kindergarten. We currently use the Early Screening Inventory, but would like to know more information about other options. Thanks!
Old 04-16-2003, 10:38 AM
angiestrickler

We give the screening test in April when the children come to register for the fall. At that time we set a date with the parents to bring them for a day-long visit in May (without parents). The screening we use with them is the Brigance, published by Curriculum Associates. It seems to be very accurate in determining readiness levels. This helps with more "even" homogeneous grouping for the school year. There are always a few children we do not know about until fall or who did not get to come on registration day. We just test them the first week of school.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:52 PM

When all three of my kids went to round up, they were taken to the classrooms by the teachers. While they were there they made a craft and then frosted cookies to eat. The theme was cowboy, each child was given a bandana. The craft they did was of a cowboy or girl. When the parents were done talking, we went and picked them up. They didn't do any testing until the start of the school year.
Old 04-19-2003, 07:22 PM

I know where I first worked, the teachers did the screenings in April. I love the idea of having children visit for the day! This would relieve any anxiety of "unknowns." Plus, returning in the Fall, would only be "returning" and not all new. I've also done a very casual party, such as an ice cream social. This way, it's not the stereotypical "vist school" and get anxious sort of thing, but new and relaxing. I think it presents the teachers as humans rather then authority figures. MissKaty

Tags
kindergarten, roundup