A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 09-23-2006, 02:05 PM
Novice

Georgia
Teacher Assistant checklist

Hi! This is my first time writing in. I am in need of some help with my teaching assistant. I moved to a brand new school this year in a different county and I have a teaching assisstant for the first time. At the beginning of the year I was very excited about having help in the classroom. However, the assistant that is working with me was previously in a middle school special ed. class. I don't think the teacher had her do much but work one-on-one with students. I have tried to tell her things I need her to do and I even gave her a detailed schedule of her day with tasks I need her to complete. She at times tries to do what I ask and other times she sit and read and painted her nails. Someone suggested I try a daily checklist. I was wondering if anyone had tried this and has a form that I can see to get a better idea of this.
Thanks for your help
Sandra

Old 09-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Rookie

Mississippi
hey!

I am a teachers assistant. I can't believe yours acts like that.

this is my 1st year in a school system. I do have a teaching cert (but for grades 7 - 12). I am assisting in the 1st grade.

My teacher gives me my own plan book with my groups info in it every week. Most of my teaching is just re-enforcing what she is instructing. During math, I help some of the slower kids or help a particular child one on one.

I have afterschool duties too. I have papers to file, copies to make and pencils to sharpen. I also have to fill water bottles, put chairs on the desks and put the garbage in the hall.

My teacher told me what was expected of me the 1st day I started. She is very nice and just said this was how her room was run and this set up works for her.

I would just talk with her again. If I was painting my nails in class, I would probably not have a job.

jackie
Old 09-24-2006, 10:05 PM
Magnifico

Kindergarten Teacher
I agree on the painting nails. WHAT??! That's a para that treats it as just a job. I will say (and I may be a minority) if a teacher asks my opinion, asks me "if I mind doing xyz", shares her thoughts and plans, and basically treats me as a team..I bend over backwards. If I feel ordered (and no real investment of my own), I tend to do only the minimum. It's not on purpose, but rather a motivation issue. The nail thing though tells me that may not work with this para because her heart may not be in the right place to begin with. Next time though (as an experiment) gently go over and interrupt her and compliment the color and then suddenly ask "Do you mind doing me a favor? (sound apologetic) I need xyz copied (don't stop and wait for the answer yet). That would be a big help. Thanks." It's hard to turn that down. LOL. With little kiddies, positive reinforcement works wonders. Call me perverse...I wanna know how it works on the less motivated adults.

My favorite teacher asked ME what I liked to do. I still did the whole enchilada, but she gave me more chores on my preferred list. I know we work for teachers, but it is always nice when teachers respect us as individuals with our own strengths and weaknesses too. BTW, I love being an aide. I love my team.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:28 PM
Connoisseur

I think a daily check list would be time consuming for you....

During the first week I tell my TA daily things that need to be done (folders, homework etc...) and then I just leave out anything elese that needs to be done with a sticky (please cut out, please glue, file etc...) She also knows that I am usually good about having things a day or two in advance so if the day is crazy and she helps w the kids more than she helps w paper work it is okay....
Old 09-25-2006, 07:03 PM
Novice

Georgia
Thanks for your support and suggestions. I will try asking her how she would like to be involved in our class. I will let you know how things work out.
Sandra
Old 10-18-2006, 04:52 AM
Companion

North Carolina
1st Grade Teacher
Curious

I'm just curious how all of this turned out. Anyone else have problems with their TA's? How did you solve it?
Old 10-18-2006, 05:31 AM
Novice

Georgia
Things really have not changed. They changed her lunch duty 2 weeks ago, which keeps her out of the room more. This is okay with me, it means I have less time to watch her do nothing. Last week I asked her to watch the class while I went to short meeting. She asked if she was allowed to watch the class by herself. I was stunned, I don't think she wants to do anything. I remembered that earlier in the year they had pulled her to watch a 3rd grade class for an sst meeting and I told her that they would not have asked her to do that if she was not allowed. Just very frustrating, but I am trying not to let it bother me anymore. You really cannot change someone who does not want to work. I do however communicate with my proncipal regularly and I document everything.
Thanks for asking.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:44 PM
Companion

North Carolina
1st Grade Teacher
That is really horrible! How are the other TA's at your school? Can you talk to the other TA's and ask them to talk to your TA about duties she should be doing, etc. (under the premise of "helping" her learn the ropes?) I have a TA (this is my first year teaching) who comes in late and leaves early but my complaints are very minor compared to this!
Old 10-18-2006, 05:46 PM
Magnifico

Kindergarten Teacher
LOL..the TA across the hall has the same complaint about her teacher (arrives late, leaves early).
Old 10-19-2006, 05:24 AM
Novice

Georgia
I have asked a couple TA's to talk to her about what they do. However, there are at least 3 in the school that do only what they want. Other TA's have noticed that she does near nothing when she has lunch and breakfast duty, also. She arrives late at least 3 out of 5 day and practically runs out of the door when she can. Yesterday, I was trying to get my test paper and progress reports together to go home and it was time to go pick up the children from PE. She told me she was going to the bathroom and I asked when she was finished to pick up the kids so I could finish. She says okay. Walks out and returns a minute later to tell me she can't go get them. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tags
assistant, checklist, teacher