A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Early Childhood Education Archives

Old 03-08-2003, 10:10 PM

Question Ideas for teaching left and right

Does anyone have a effective way to teach left and right to kindergarten children? I have used L stamp on left hand, R stamp on the right. I have misplaced a poem-chant I used at one time. Something about - This is my right hand. I wave it up high.
This is my left hand. I touch the sky.
Thanks in advance!

Old 03-09-2003, 01:05 AM
A to Z Teacher Stuff Owner

Missouri
Former K/1 Teacher
I don't have a lot of ideas for this, but it may be easier to teach them only their right hand. Then they know the other hand is the left.

Most of my kindergarten kids knew their right hand by about mid-year. I attribute this to a couple of things... We learned our right hand for doing the Pledge of Allegiance once a week... and at the end of the day, kids who followed the rules all day got a hand stamp. I always put it on their right hand. Every day they had to think about which hand to give me, plus they had the stamp to remind them until they washed it off.

You could do other things with the right hand... shake their right hand when they come and/or go... put lotion or something smelly on their right hand... etc....
Old 03-09-2003, 04:47 AM
Fanatic

Broward County Florida
left

Follow these directions and let me know if you 'see' what the lesson is.
-put up both hands with palms facing away and finger tips to the sky
-point both the thumbs to touch each other
-one of the hands will form an L and the other a backward 'l'(the pointer finger and the thumb.
-The hand that makes an L is LEFT the other is RIGHT

When i was a kid it was always the hand you put for the pledge is your right but that was never effective. Using the thumbs the kids will use forever and get it correct.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:56 AM

Florida
I like that thumb method, also.

Have you done the hokey Pokey? Read the very simple story, My Friend Goes Right. (UMMmmmm .. it could be, My Friend Goes Left. Think so, actually.)
Old 03-09-2003, 09:26 AM

Cool Re: Ideas for teaching left and right

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Unregistered
[B]Does anyone have a effective way to teach left and right to kindergarten children? Left to Right is the way we Read and Write!
Cut out hands Left hands Green Right Hand Red, Place Left hand to the left of page where they are to read or write, the red hand to the right. Teadh them they always start at the left green hand go, and stop at the red right hand.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:24 AM
Companion

We sing a song:

Do gestures accordingly

Left, middle, right (middle is both hands together in front of you)
Left, middle, right
Left, left, middle, and right

Most of my preschoolers can tell you left and right. We do this song everyday in circle.

Tags
ideas, left, teaching