A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Montessori Archives

Old 09-12-2006, 09:43 PM
Newcomer

arizona
Montessori training: is it worth it?

I am a new teacher who is planning to start her teaching career next fall. I am having a hard time deciding if the time and money is worth investing in Montessori training. I strongly believe in creating a student directed and respectful classroom. I want to stay away from a discipline system which revolves around rewards and punishments. I want to teach for understanding not just rote memorization or abstract concepts. I believe that for real learning to take place the student has to construct the learning and that it has to be personal to them. I don't believe in mindless drill and practice or worksheets. I want to have a sucessful first year as a new teacher and I am looking for the best school for me.

I am worried that my teaching philosophy and goals will be hard to incorporate into a traditional public school. I feel like I will be "going against the grain" since most schools seem to be set up as the antithesis of my ideal teaching situation.

I am not that familiar with Montessori teaching, but I have skimmed a few books and have been lurking on this board for a while. I also had a school visit with a charter Montessori school in my area. I was very impressed! They mentioned a 9-12 year old position opening next fall and said that they were interested in seeing how I fit with their school.

The trouble is that, as I understand it, I would need both 6-9 and 9-12 training. They accept AMS and the local montessori program would end up costing about $15,000 for both certifications. It would also span about two full years during which time I believe I would be hired as an assistant or co-teacher. The pay would comparison would be anywhere from $8-$15 hourly as an assistant compared to $18 as a directress or a new teacher at a traditional public school. I would aslo have to pay for my DS to attend the Montessori preschool. I think I might get a 50% discount as an employee.

I am wondering if it is worth the time and money. The whole reason that I am going to work after being a SAHM for the last 2 years is the need for more money. So it seems conterproductive to spend more money and time to teach Montessori when I could very easily start right away at a traditional public school.

Please help!!! I don't know what to do.

Dawn

Old 09-12-2006, 11:22 PM
Rookie

California
It sounds to me like you answered your own question. If money is a real situation for you right now, I would stay at traditional public school and read as many Montessori books as you can to enhance your classroom style.

But I have some questions: Would this school by any chance pay for all or part of your training? When you say "both" certifications what are you referring to? I don't know AMS, but in AMI the elementary training is 6-12. The one training covers both lower and upper elementary. The course can be taken I believe over 3 summers. That's another idea for you. Staying at public school right now, and doing the elementary trainings over the summers.

I recommend thinking beyond just this potential job. Think: How do you want to enhance your career path/resume? What direction are you growing as a teacher?
Old 09-13-2006, 05:33 AM
Fanatic

Broward County Florida
AMS- the 6-9 and 9-12 training is called Elementary II Credential

It is always an improvement for someone to have any knowledge/education/training on ANY thing that would make them better at what they do.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:29 PM
Rookie

Illinois
It sounds like your philosophy and ideas are a perfect fit for Montessori. I don't know about the program near you, but here the AMS 6-9 and 9-12 programs span over three summers, with one or two three-day institutes throughout the year.

If you are hired by this Montessori school, will they pay for your training? A lot of schools will do that for their teachers. It's worth checking into if you don't know already.

edit: Pickles pretty much said the same thing already!

Tags
montessori, training, worth