A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Secondary Education Archives

Old 08-26-2006, 07:04 AM
Comrade

New York
Middle School "All About Me" Posters

For the first day of school I would like my middle school students to make an "All About Me" type of poster. However, I have only seen these in elementary. Does anyone do this with older students? Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 08-26-2006, 08:21 AM

Florida
If you are wondering if they will be embarrassed or think it too babyish, why not have them decorate file folders to represent themselves? Often, MSers like to draw - Japanese animation stuff is really popular now - and this would be a great way to direct their talents. Have them explain how their illustrations reflect their interests so they don't just doodle. You will get a start on assessing various skills that way.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:36 AM
Companion

Florida
I cut up a posterboard for each class in all crazy shapes and ask them to pick one (about the size of a book). They are told to decorate them "all about me" style. The rubric is- they must have their name on it, it must be completely covered and to be creative. They can use any materials they want, make it 3d, whatever. Magazines, newspapers, pictures, art supplies, whatever.
After they turn in their piece, I use it to create the class puzzle and put it on a board that says "we are all a piece of the classroom puzzle". We did this and the kids LOVED it. They loved showing it to their parents at open house.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:59 AM
Cohort

Illinois
I like the puzzle project for MSers. I think individual posters would be geared more toward elementary students.

I may use this idea of individual pices to make a whole. Did they do the decorating in class or at home? I have only the usual art supplies...construction paper, glue, scissors, crayons. Mine would need to do it at home.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:33 AM
Companion

5th Grade Teacher
I did this with 6th graders and they loved it!
Old 08-26-2006, 09:36 AM
Cohort

Illinois
The file folders is another way to get their creative side flowing. I've never had a group who didn't enjoy decorating their own folder!
Old 08-26-2006, 09:51 AM
Comrade

Upper Elementary Teacher
I teach fifth grade and have these free posters from Scholastic. Middle school begins in the fifth grade in our district so I think using these will be a nice transition.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:36 PM
Rookie

FLORIDA
All About Me Posters

I am a 7th and 8th grade Language Arts teacher and I did something similar which the kids absolutely loved doing! The first day of school is pretty much for going over rules and procedures. But the second day of school I paired them and had them do a venn diagram of what their similarities and differences are. Then I had the pair come up to the front of the class and one student would tell how they were similar and the other student would say how they were different. The homework for that night was to write a paragraph of what they learned about the person (not just 'I like pizza and she likes hamburgers' but I learned that she likes sports and I didn't know that about her...I learned that he was a red-cross volunteer and I didn't know that). I was surprised how much of their homework papers reflected how happy they were with the assignment. The next day I gave them 5 x 8 colorful index cards and had them cut out pictures or words from magazines, newspapers or computer generated that said who they are '--their personalities--. I made one the night before of myself so they would know what i meant. I told them that if drawing was their "thing" then go ahead and draw them. I had two bulletin boards in the back of the room that I titled "We Are..." The next day they came up to the front of the class and said a few things about what they chose. Then we would go to the back and staple it to the board. Let me tell you, it looks awesome! A lot of teachers have come by my room because they heard about my board. The kids had a blast, they learned about each other, I learned about them and they now feel like a "team". This is something i plan on doing every year!!!
Old 08-31-2006, 06:52 AM
Rookie

NJ
I am planning on doing a passport with the kids, kind of their passport to history, where I have outlined the class in each little box, so once we cover it, they can decorate that box or stamp it or whatever they wish to represent that we completed it. It has room for a photo of themselves, plenty of room for them to write or draw and asks a series of questions about themselves and their likes.

Tags
all about me, middle, posters, school