A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 08-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Rookie

When is the best time to get pregnant?

I'm a first year teacher starting this September. I'm 28 years old and am getting concerned about when would be the best time to become pregnant. I know some people probably think I'm crazy for thinking this when I'm starting off my first year, and I'm non tenured. Problem is that I may have difficulty conceiving due to a medical reason. So, I'm worried that if I put it off for too long, I may regret. I would go back to work after the six week period, I don't think I'd be able to take family leave. But, I'm scared of being let go. I don't want to take time off my first year, so I'm not sure if planning it for the summer is the best way to go. I'm so confused. Any advice?

Old 08-17-2006, 08:34 PM
Cohort

Iowa
Inculsion PK special education
My husband and I are currently trying to conceive. I'm hoping to get pregnant and have the baby May, June, and July. But whatever happens, happens. I also have a medical problem that gives me problems with getting pregnant.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:35 PM
Rookie

are you non tenured
Old 08-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Companion

St. Louis, Missouri
My advice is don't let your school schedule dictate the time you get pregnant. The decision of when you will have a baby is often not your own. It took me over a year to get pregnant with my third child and that was with some minor medical intervention and a lot of prayer. The school that doesn't understand that is probably not the best place for a working mom any way. Life is too short to let a job dictate your life! Sorry you hit my soap box!
Good Luck!
Old 08-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Companion

Georgia
3rd Grade Teacher
Don't let your work schedule ruin what will be a very special time in your life. Planning is certainly a good idea but be prepared for the fact that you may get pregnant outside of your planning window. This happened to my best friend. She became pregnant 3/4 of the way through our third year of teaching and unfortunately still had not accumulated enough sick days to take off the amount of time she'd hoped to. To make matters worse she wound up on bed rest 6 weeks before her due date and was told she'd have to return to work by a certain date or be forced to resign. She and her husband are still dealing with the financial repercussions of that but they've got one cute baby to show for it. :-)
Old 08-17-2006, 11:32 PM
Novice

Il
I became pregnant my first year of teaching. The pregnancy was not planned, my husband and I just decided that if we became pregnant it was ok and if we didn't we didn't. Well I did get pregnant and was due July 24th. We would be on summer break. I informed my principal that I would return at the beginning of the school year. First I did not have enough sick days, Second even though I was assigned (tenure, he assigned me within six months of getting the position) I was concerned that he would give my room and grade to another teacher. I decided to come back. I had my daugther by c-section, on July 30th. I had to be back at work August 29th so I only stayed home for four weeks with the baby. I have to tell you that now I regret not taking more time off. My husband received family leave from his work and he pretty much stayed with her until she was 6 months. She is now five years old and I can be honest and tell you that she has a stronger bond with her father than she does with me.

Two years ago I had my second child, this time once again she was not planned. I was due November 3rd, by c-section. I learned from my first pregnancy never to put my work ahead of my family. So I have 50 sick days that I had accumulated through my years and I stayed home with the second baby. My last day at work was November 2 and I did not return until April. I have to say I enjoyed staying home with my girls. I have also realized that I have a stronger bond with my second girl because I was with her for a longer period of time than my first.Lesson to be learned ~ family first.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:31 AM
Fanatic

Broward County Florida
when you are ovulating!

i think you need to consider your financial burden if you are due to deliver during the year. If you are able to go on maternity (paid?) leave??? If you go full term, 9+months, its almost a school year. So, if you can plan for a June/May baby you need to try during summer. It has nothing to do with the alignment of the planets and seasons. It is really just the convenience of school calendar and getting paid or not having to take a 'leave' until school starts because you have your summer off....
Old 08-18-2006, 06:21 AM
Companion

Louisiana
I'd say try to plan it so your due date is within the first few weeks of summer.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:46 AM
Rookie

Virginia
if you have a medical condition that might make it difficult to conceive, then I'd say, go for it. Your principal (and staff) should be understanding...one would hope anyway. Just do your best and show him/her how much of an asset you are to the school, and you should be okay. I will say that the first year is very stressful, so you may want to actively begin trying later in the year, but do what's best for you.

I'm currently 3 months pregnant and have been dealing with similar issues as yours. My husband and I got married last July and I switched school districts. I am going to be in my second year this year (you need three years in my district to be tenured). We were planning on trying next year (so I'd be due after school let out), needless to say, my pregnancy was a surprise. A good one, but still a surprise. I'm not tenured, and I'm due about 15 days before my principal has to make the final decision on whether or not to renew my contract. All I can do is do my best, be as active as my body will allow, enjoy my time with my students...and hope she's as understanding as I believe she is.

I'm sure you'll be fine at your new school. Do what's best for you, in your (and your body's) time, and enjoy your first year...it's crazy, but so much fun and rewarding.

Good luck!
Old 08-18-2006, 06:52 AM
Rookie

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaruthie
So, if you can plan for a June/May baby you need to try during summer.
mommaruthie - believe me, I had been calculating when would be the best time to get pregnant, so I'd go out at the end of school or be due at the beginning of summer vacation... September is perfect - due in June. August - May, October - July. I had it all figured out...but suprise I got pregnant in early summer (end of may, beg. of june) and I'm due March 1. So I'd say, late summer, early fall would be best.

I'm a little sad I'm going to miss so much of my first grade students' year, and especially at the part where they begin to take off and fly. When I come back, they'll be so far advanced from where they were when I left and almost be second graders.

Tags
pregnant, time