A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > Job Hunting & Interviews

Old 08-14-2006, 02:52 PM
Cohort

USA
Help on Mini Essay

I'm wondering if my answer to these mini-essay question for an application makes sense....Please let me know! Thanks!

1. How would you address a wide range of skills in your classroom?

I address a wide range of skills and abilities in my classroom by differentiating my instruction to meet the needs of all the learners. I do this by varying the way I teach. I make sure that students in my classroom have the opportunity to work in whole group, independently, in pairs, and in small group at different times so that they have the opportunity to learn from me, learn from others, and learn from themselves. Another way I address a wide range of skills and abilities, is by encouraging children to ask questions, participate in discussion, and through learning centers. Through learning centers, I offer a variety of skill based activities based on the preschool framework. Children have the opportunity to play and work alone or engage in peer interactions. This provides them with the opportunity to guide their own instruction and includes higher level and lower level thinking activities. I frequently ask students questions about what they are interested in so that I can incorporate their interests into the way I teach. By doing this, each my hope is that each child remains motivated and feels special. I also provide small group or one-on-one instruction for students needing more support so that they will not feel like a failure in my classroom. It is important to treat each student in the classroom as individuals and to work with their strengths and help them through their weaknesses to help them become successful members of society.

2.) How would you address a wide range of issues in your groups?

I address a wide range of issues in my group by getting to know the students on an individual more personal level. I do this by finding out about each child's interest in my classroom so that I each child feels special. I will also incorporate each child's interests into my future teaching so that he or she remains focused and motivated. I also differentiate my instruction to meet the needs of all the learners and if necessary provide one-on-one or small group instruction for struggling students. I consult with support staff or family if concerns arise about particular children. It is important to address the wide range of issues in the group in order to successfully work with children with a variety of needs.

Old 08-14-2006, 03:19 PM
Cohort

Ohio
1st Grade Teacher
maithal-i think when you talk about differentiation, you need to mention things like pre-assessing the students (to find out where they are before you teach them). you should also talk about planning different activities for different levels of groups-e.g. 1 for the average, another for the more able/accelerated students, etc.-using bloom's taxonomy. bloom's is a BIG thing when it comes to differentiating!! let me know if you need any more help-good luck! -meri
Old 08-14-2006, 03:56 PM
Cohort

USA
Thanks! I completely forgot about Bloom's Taxonomy! Whoops! Thanks again!

Tags
essay, mini