A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 08-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Rookie

Concord, NC
5th Grade Teacher
Opening Day Ice Breaker (1st Grade)

I have some ideas for some activities I would like to do on the first day as ice breakers/getting to know you activities but I am not sure if any of them are exactly what I am looking for in terms of first thing in the day - what are you all doing - any suggestions that will be fun but also managable for 1st grade? TIA

Old 08-14-2006, 09:09 PM
Companion

This site has tons of ideas: http://classroommanagementforteachers.com/
Old 08-14-2006, 10:04 PM
Fanatic

Arizona
2nd Grade Teacher
As an ice breaker we sang Hickety Pickety Bumble Bee.

Hickety Pickety Bumble Bee
Won't you say your name for me?
(kid says name)
Let's whisper it.
Let's shout it.
Let's clap it.
Let's wiggle it.

We passed around a bee stuffed animal and did the chant for each kid. It was so cute. They really got into it. That was just a simple first day thing you can do. And boy did I know their names after that! Except for my Yohan and Jovan... I'm still mixing those up.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:27 PM
Habitué

PA
Kindergarten Teacher
I am going to have my students find a partner and give them a high-five, find a new partner and give them a handshake, and find a third partner and give them a pat on the pack. The first time they find their partners, they will exchange names and do the task. Then, I will call handshake buddy and they will find that person and give them a handshake. I will repeat this until they found each buddy at least two times. It's fun and easy.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:31 PM
Companion

Norway
1st Grade Teacher
I like to do the drawing ice breakers. Divide them into groups, hand each group one piece of paper and whisper a topic or subject to them. Each group works on their picture together and shows off the finished result, whereas the others try to guess whaat their topic was.
You could also give the students their topics for the school year and learn what they already know about them.

Tags
1st, breaker, day, grade, ice, opening