A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Special Education Archives

Old 08-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Rookie

Colorado
Special Education Teacher
Categorical (Self Contained) Vs. Resource Room

Has anyone here had a self contained or categorical classroom? how is it different than a resource room?

Old 08-13-2006, 02:01 PM
Rookie

Georgia
Hi
Where I teach a self-contained setting is one in which the students receive most of their classes one special education teacher, who is certified in their area of disability. The students may span two or three grade levels. They may go out for special area classes or some academics but spend most of the day in that teacher's room. In a resource setting, the teacher sees many students from different classes and grade levels throughout the day for just one or two periods each, sometimes in her classroom, but more often in general ed. inclusion classes. With the increased demand for inclusion, there are very few true self-contained classrooms left here, mostly just in the areas of Profoundly/Severely Intellectually Delayed, Preschool Special Ed and a few Austistic classes.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:13 PM
Rookie

Kansas
Hello. I just finished my first year of teaching in a self-contained classroom. The students were with me almost the entire day. Students went to reg. ed with para support for 30 minutes to an hour. Now I am teaching in a resource position. Students are with me only 45 minutes a day and then are in the reg. classroom. I go into the regular classroom and provide support there most of the time. Self-Contained classrooms usually have students with more severe disabilities. Resource room students usually just have mild disabilities.

Tags
categorical, contained, resource, room