I used to, but now I don't. They get so much new stuff anyway that it doesn't seem to make much of a difference to them. If you teach low-income students, though, it might be helpful. I'd still probably just stock the room really well with extra supplies.
To stick with my jungle theme I ordered my items from Oriental Trading company
they had the jungle/zoo bags, erasers, notepad, pencils, stickers, and bookmark
the jungle card will say:
A Warm Jungle Welcome To Our Class
Eraser: Because we all make mistakes and that's ok
Smarties Candy: For how smart we are
Stickers: We'll stick together
Notepad: We'll have fun writing
Pencil: We'll be a sharp bunch
Bookmark: We'll read lots of great books
I give the students a "ticket coupon" to bring back the first day of school at our assessment day. The kids come the week before school starts for 30 minutes to meet me, pick out their desk, bring their school supplies and do a reading and math assessment.
At the end, I give them the coupon and on the first day of school they get their goodie bag. This year, I put a notebook (small spiral), stickers,fun pencil, and bookmark. I struggled with ideas too- so let me know what you're doing- thanks!
I make goodie bags, but most of what I put in there is what I would normally give them. (5th grade pencil, bookmark, and sticker; highlighter (They "write their name in lights" by highlighthing name, number and date to make sure they put them); large eraser, pen, and other bookmarks I would normally give, in addition they get - sucker, bag of Cheezits, activity pad, and keychain rubiks cube).
Be the change you want to see in the world.
A Student Survival Kit - The items in this bag have special meaning:
* The cotton ball is to remind you that this room is full of kind words and warm feelings.
* The chocolate kiss is to comfort you when you are feeling sad.
* The tissue is to remind you to help dry someone's tears.
* The sticker is to remind you that we all stick together and help each other.
* The star is to remind you to shine and always try your best.
* The rubber band is to remind you to hug someone.
* The penny is to remind you that you are valuable and special.
* The toothpick is to remind you to "pick out" the good qualities in your classmates.
* The bandage is to heal hurt feelings in your friends and in yourself.
* The gold thread is to remind you that friendship ties our hearts together.
* The eraser is to remind you that we all make mistakes, and that is okay.
* The Life Savers are to remind you that you can come to me if you need someone to talk to.
I always give goody bags. What I do is leave of crayons from my school supply list and then inside the bag I give the students a box of 24 crayons. Then I fill it up with pencils, erasers, candy etc etc
Crayons are .20 at Target and I only have 19 students.