A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > Job Hunting & Interviews

Old 08-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Novice

Ohio
Interview Question Help

I am in the process of filling out a job application online and need some input.

1. List any special abilities, interests, community activities, high school and/or college activities which would enhance your opportunity for employment, including unique or special achievements.

Was a Participant on the Varsity Soccer Team during High School
Enjoy Reading
Received Academic Scholarships
Graduated Magna Cum Laude

I know you cant answer this question for me but what other things night you list for this question?

2. List any professional activities, including professional or honorary organizations, research studies, publications and/or presentations.

Developed Curriculum Map for my present school
Trained DIBELS Adminster
Box Tops Coordinator
Ohio Project WILD Certified

Anything else I am missing that I should include?

3.Describe how you will promote sensitivity to racial, cultural, religious, and ethnic differences in your classroom.

Any suggestions would help jog my brain!!

4. What are your three most important reasons for wanting to be a teacher?

I want to be a teacher because I want to provide my students with the desire for life long learning and a strong educational foundation. I also want to help children reach their full potential in education and life.

This is what I have so far. I feel like my answer is to general. Please help me reword or add to it.

5. What three things do you want most to know about your students?

I want to know my students interests, family background, and strengths and weaknesses.

Anything I am missing?

I feel my answers are too vague and not enough "Umph" behind them to land me a job interview. I would like your help in making my answers stand out from others.

Thanks

Old 08-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
#1: THis is your chance to SHINE!!!! Give us a list of what you do-- your hobbies, past work experience, etc, and we'll work on the phrasing. Do you have kids? Do you scrapbook? Repair cars? Do any volunteer work?

#5: How about hopes, dreams, aspirations, ambitions, greatest fears, etc? You'll be getting all the concrete info, concentrate on the things that would help you to know WHO these kids are.

#4: Be more concrete. How could you help a child reach his full potential? Try to avoid the buzzwords here and give us concrete examples of how a child would benefit from being in your class.

Try the "What separates you from the pack" thread, and I think you'll have a better idea of what I mean.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Novice

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc
#1: THis is your chance to SHINE!!!! Give us a list of what you do-- your hobbies, past work experience, etc, and we'll work on the phrasing. Do you have kids? Do you scrapbook? Repair cars? Do any volunteer work?

#5: How about hopes, dreams, aspirations, ambitions, greatest fears, etc? You'll be getting all the concrete info, concentrate on the things that would help you to know WHO these kids are.

#4: Be more concrete. How could you help a child reach his full potential? Try to avoid the buzzwords here and give us concrete examples of how a child would benefit from being in your class.

Try the "What separates you from the pack" thread, and I think you'll have a better idea of what I mean.
These questions are for an application not an interview. Sorry if i didnt make that clear. That is why my wording must by perfect!

Hobbies: Travel, Read, Bake, Suduko, Love Sports (Watching Them)
Work Experience: (This will all be on my resume which will be attached)Tutor, Sub, Receptionist, K Teacher for 2 years

#5 and #4 I would def. go into more detail during an interview but I have to answer these questions in 100 words or less. That is why I need help to give the best answers in the least amount of words possible.

Thanks
Old 08-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
I understood; apparently I was the one who was unclear.

I guess this is my point: they're giving you 100 words to SELL yourself enough to get the interview. So when they say "unique or special achievements", find something which makes you a better candidate than me. You say you like to travel-- how does that translate to the classroom? Does it give you a better appreciation for multi-culturalism? You like Suduko-- does that mean that you have an appreciation for problem solving that you're hoping to share with your math students? You read-- so you have a fine appreciation for the importance of empahsizing literacy to kids at an early age?

I'll give #5 a shot:

As a secondary math teacher, I realize that I'll have access to all the vital statistics about my students. Yet teenagers are so much more than their family background or educational record. I would love to know my students' dreams, fears, and ambitions. I hope to inspire my students with an appreciation for limitless achievement in whichever field they choose, along with the academic tools to facilitate those achievements. I would like to give them the abilities to overcome the fears that can be beaten, and to deal with those that cannot be escaped. I would like to help guide them towards fulfillment of their ambitions, to find the paths that will best help each fulfill his or her personal destiny.

Or something like that. I would go for the best answers in the MOST words possible, keeping it under that magic 100. (and, no I didn't do a word count, so I may be over )
Old 08-08-2006, 08:07 PM
Novice

Ohio
Thanks so much!! That helps alot.

If anyone else has feedback feel free to comment.

Thanks again
Old 08-08-2006, 08:41 PM
Novice

Ohio
What are the 3 most important reasons for becoming a teacher.

I have chosen to become a teacher for many reasons. First, I had many teachers touch my life growing up. I would like to return the gift and provide my students with not only a teacher but someone who cares and believes in them and will help them reach all goals that they have set for themselves. Second, I want to provide my students with a positive educational experience. I will accomplish this by making everyone feel important and capable of accomplishing all that they put their mind to. Third, I want to enhance their desire to learn which in turn will lead to success later on in life.

What do you think of this answer? How could I expand or add too it to stand apart from the other applicants?

Thanks
Old 08-09-2006, 06:13 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
I think it's good!

Tags
interview, question