A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > General Education Archives

Old 07-29-2006, 02:38 PM
Habitué

south eastern US
english bulletin board ideas

Hello, does anyone have any bulletin board ideas that they would like to share for a middle school english classroom (grammar, writing, spelling) I've already got several ideas, but nothing that's really creative. Thanks.

Old 07-29-2006, 03:38 PM
Companion

Arkansas
I will be displaying my students work on my bb. I don't have anything else creative to do!
Old 07-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Companion

Houston, Texas
7th Grade Teacher
extra credit essay prompts

I only have 2 bulletin boards, one for school info, and then I create one by just placing the border on the wall. I use that one for extra credit. I have monthly themed bulletin board sets (fall with pumpkins, a turkey, winter, valentines, etc.). I then make die-cuts that go along with the theme. I write essay prompts on the die-cuts then place them within reach on the bulletin board. The students can choose one, and write an essay (at least a page; I'm thinking of making it 2 pages this year) for extra credit. I thought at the beginning of theyear that they would hate the cutesy bulletin boards. But, I went ahead and put up a Bookworm set for back to school. When I took it down towards the end of Sept., it took me a while to get the next one up. They started commenting about how the room didn't look as fun, room was boring, etc. So, I kept it going all year and decided to add essays to it.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:03 PM
Companion

Arizona
I have a "Trait of the month", where I showcase one of the lovely "6 Traits of Writing". I usually post some good examples of work that exemplifies the featured trait. I personally really dislike 6 trait writing, but my district loves it.

Another bulletin board I use is a "Literary terms" board. Basically, I write all of the glossary words from our textbook onto bright index cards (one word per card). The board is split into half: one side for "terms we don't know" and one side for "terms we've learned". I move the cards from one side to the other as we learn them. By the end of the year, they're all on one side! This is a good review tool, too.

Then I do almost a whole wall on genres. I use a store bought set for this--it's a big "bookcase" and each shelf explains a different genre. It's colorful and not too juvenile, so I like it in my room. It gives kids something to stare at when their hamsters are on a break!
Old 07-29-2006, 08:54 PM
Habitué

south eastern US
Thank you all very much!

Tags
board, bulletin, english, ideas