A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 07-28-2006, 08:17 PM
Rookie

Virginia
3rd Grade Teacher
Calendar time in 3rd grade?

I am a new teacher and will be teaching 3rd grade this fall. I know that calendar time is a valuable teaching opportunity in younger grades, such as K and 1, but I'm wondering how it can be used in 3rd grade. For example, in the kindergarten class I student taught in, we did activities such as weather (choosing a picture to correspond with that day's weather) and days of the week and months of the year, but these concepts are too basic for 3rd graders. I also student taught in 3rd grade, and we didn't do anything with a calendar. Have any of you done a more in-depth calendar routine with older grades? And if so, what kinds of concepts have you reinforced? I don't want it to be so easy that its boring and therefore not meaningful to them. Any thoughts would be appreciated!! Thanks

Old 07-28-2006, 08:34 PM
Companion

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leans417
I am a new teacher and will be teaching 3rd grade this fall. I know that calendar time is a valuable teaching opportunity in younger grades, such as K and 1, but I'm wondering how it can be used in 3rd grade. For example, in the kindergarten class I student taught in, we did activities such as weather (choosing a picture to correspond with that day's weather) and days of the week and months of the year, but these concepts are too basic for 3rd graders. I also student taught in 3rd grade, and we didn't do anything with a calendar. Have any of you done a more in-depth calendar routine with older grades? And if so, what kinds of concepts have you reinforced? I don't want it to be so easy that its boring and therefore not meaningful to them. Any thoughts would be appreciated!! Thanks
You may be surprised at what your students either don't know, or forget, about reading a calendar. When I taught third grade we still did today is, yesterday was, and tomorrow will be.

We also created a number line as the year went on. Each day we wrote then number on a post-it, determined if it was even or odd (huge thing in third grade, that they really seem to have a hard time with) We then add that many dollars to the bank, then count our total amount of money. Eventually you get into trading in ones for tens, tens for twentys, etc. I also use different patterns for my dates on the calendar. We discuss the pattern, predict what part of the pattern will be on different dates, etc.

I know there is more, I am just trying to think back to a couple of years ago!! Um..... Oh I have a clock that I start at 12:00. Everyday we add a minute to the clock. It takes a long time for the clock to move an hour (60 days) but the students are reinforced everyday with reading the clock the correct way. My students always came to me having a really hard time reading the clock.

These are just some ideas of things I used when I taught third grade. I definitely do not think doing calendar activities are to babyish for third graders. You obviously are not going to do weather and that type of stuff, but you can definitely reinforce those important skills! Hope this helps you some!
Old 07-28-2006, 08:41 PM
Rookie

Virginia
3rd Grade Teacher
Thanks so much! I love the clock idea- I know time can be a hard concept for kids and this reinforces it every day. Excellent!!
Old 07-28-2006, 11:24 PM
Connoisseur

Washington
3rd Grade Teacher
My daughter's third grade teacher did something kinda neat for calendar time.

Instead of adding one penny a day for money counting practice, he would add dollars. On the first day of school, he started with one dollar, the second day, he added 2 dollars, on the third, he added 3 so ex:
day 1 -- 1$
day 2 -- 1$ +2$ = 3$
day 3 -- 3$ +3$ = 6$
day 4 -- 6$ +4$ = 10$

It was really cool for adding larger numbers at the end of the year.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:04 AM
Companion

terptoteacher, I really like that idea. It gets them adding bigger numbers.

Cool idea.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:03 AM
Newcomer

Indiana
I was required to do a version of Calendar Time with my third graders. I was surprised to to see how much they didn't know or had forgotten about calendar skills. For example, "What is the date in two weeks"? I also tried to incorporate number skills, telling time, and a word problem to figure out.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:47 PM
Companion

Wisconsin
I was thinking about incorporating graphing into our calendar routine for the year. Dividing the class into groups, one would observe, graph (line graph or bar graph) and report the outdoor temperature, one would graph using a line graph or bar graph the #of students taking hot lunch (and fill out the slip for the office), another would update the list of today's specials.... art, music, gym and what time we had them. I really like the idea of the clock (thanks to teach12) and adding a minute each day. That could be another group. I am feeling like it would be good practice for the students in working as a group, oral reporting, and gaining experience with different kinds of graphing or recording information. It will be my first year trying this and I am hoping it will evolve into a student led activity with little or no guidance from me. I will rotate the group jobs, but I haven't decided if it will be weekly or monthly.

Tags
3rd, calendar, grade, time