A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > Job Hunting & Interviews

Old 07-25-2006, 11:35 AM
Rookie

North Carolina
Teacher Assistant Interview

hello,

I'm new to this site, but VERY Glad to have found it!

I am going on my 1st job interview for a Teacher Assistant Position on Thursday afternoon. Although I was honest in my cover letter that my long-term goal is to become certified to teach, I really want to show them that I am the best candidate for this Assistant position.

Does anybody know what questions might be asked in this type of interview?

I am also reading through past posts, but I wanted to go ahead and post my question since time is of the essence.

Thanks for any help!
Faerie

Old 07-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Devotee

New Jersey, USA
I'm not sure of the questions you will be asked, but I would be prepared to tell them:
-you want to learn everything possible from the teachers you are assisting
-you are willing to help where needed (they may want you in the lunchroom and playground to monitor or they may want you to make photo copies)
-you are a team player
-reiterate that you are planning to become certified and ask if they tend to hire from their support staff (some schools do not!)
Old 07-25-2006, 01:21 PM
Phenom

Sp. Ed. Teacher
You may be asked questions about what you know about the curriculum - writer's workshop, reader's workshop.., behavior management, special needs students in the classroom, what you will do to help a child that is developmentally delayed in a certain area... I would also be prepared for a question about what you would do if the teacher that you are working with does something that you disagree with or asks you to do something that is not at all in your job description or feel uncomfortable doing.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:21 PM
Rookie

North Carolina
Thanks!

Thank you, this helps a lot, I can review all my experience and reading materials on these subjects....now to figure out my attire
Old 07-25-2006, 02:26 PM

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie
Thank you, this helps a lot, I can review all my experience and reading materials on these subjects....now to figure out my attire
Go with a suit if you own one.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:58 PM
Comrade

CA
6th Grade Teacher
Hello, I am a TA, and I was asked when do you plan on leaving? I told them I would stay until student teaching.
I was asked about discipline, because you can and will be left alone.
I was asked about my experience, I have more customer service experience than education, so they asked how I would my customer service experience in the classroom. I am sure they could have used any other profession.
Since I am in special ed, I did not get any curriculum questions.
I did get what do you expect to do on the job...my answer anything I am asked and I gave examples...helping students, making copies, housecleaning, etc.
I was also asked about my volunteer work, I am a team mom for football (and baseball) and this year I will be a board member, but they wanted to know about football specifically.
Oh, yeah, I was interviewed by 4 people, the SP ed director, a community person, a classified union rep-also a TA, and another gentleman whose title I forgot.
I wore a skirt and blouse, and took copies of my resume, too.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:22 PM
Rookie

North Carolina
Smile Thanks again

All this info is great. Thanks for the help, it has already helped me in my preparation for the interview. AND...I found a great pair of business suit pants that are from the Limited, but were at Marshalls for $15 woohoo! Unfortunately, blazers and suit jackets always make me look like I'm playing dress up, so I had to pass on the matching jacket. I will have to find a nice knit sweater to wear over my blouse. Otherwise, I'm feeling good to go.

Tags
assistant, interview, teacher