A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Behavior Management Archives

Old 06-27-2006, 06:46 AM
Comrade

Ga
behavior management for 7th grade

Hi and how are you guys doing? As you guys are quite aware I will be teaching seventh grade reading and I need all the help that I can get because I have experience with first grade...I would like to know what behavior plan worked for you in your classroom.

Thanks

Old 07-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Companion

Arkansas
I will also be teaching 7th (and 8th) grade this year. I think the best classroom management is to keep them busy from the moment they come into the classroom until they leave. Have very little, if any, down time. I believe the rest will take care of itself.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:54 AM
Newcomer

israel
Hi
I work with children who have adhd dyslexia and school anxieties. I have put out a picture book of different fun simple focused relaxation techniques and games which calm children in the classroom. The book BEING IN CONTROL is also in a CD movie BEING IN CONTROL: Natural Solutions For ADHD Dyslexia And Test Anxiety. It should be in any classroom behavior management plan.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Rookie

Ohio
2nd Grade Teacher
I used to teach kindergarten and was placed in a 7th/8th grade class this past year. I would have to agree with Mrs CAD. If they have a free minute they lose it! My core team and I also had bi-monthly rewards for good behavior since we rotated classes. In the class I did a behavior contract with them. A poster of the rules and each student signed it. Sounds juvenile but MOST took it seriously. HTH!
Old 07-12-2006, 05:37 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
Absolutely... transitions are killers!! Try to keep them on task the whole period-- no time to chat while you get settled.

Also, they love routine. So if you want to do vocab on Monday, spelling on Tuesday, etc, it will cut down on the number of kids who don't have the right book with them on a given day.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Companion

Texas
Middle school science
Procedures, procedures, procedures.

Have a procedure for everything, teach them over and over, and don't let the little buckos slack off from them.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:26 AM
Rookie

Missouri
Getting to be a Pro

I am getting ready to start my fourth year of teaching 7th grade and what I have learned is that they truly are still little kids. They want so much to be treated like adults, which can be confusing since many of them look like it too. I always try to keep this in mind when I feel I am losing my patience. I have changed how I start the semester and that has made a world of difference. Now I assign them a seat right away, plus they always have an assignment to start with, this keeps the room calm and it reviews what you discussed yesterday. Plus this is a good time to take attendance. I suggest reading the "First Days of School" by Harry and Rosemary Wong

Tags
7th, behavior, grade, management