A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Single Subject Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Congratulations on passing three out of four and almost nailing the fourth! Well done!

Side 2 of your printed score report shows performance indicators for each constructed response. What are you seeing there for Subtest IV?

Old 02-18-2010, 07:03 PM
Aficionado

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
Thanks TeacherGroupie
This is what it says: I had 207 point, it is 220 to pass.
the answers are graded 1-4 , and I think 4 is the best, but It's not obvious from the explanations, though.
Speech: 1
Media: 2
Dramatic performance: 3
Creative writing: 4

I am retaking this subtest in March, in about 3 weeks, and I should start studying. But I still don't know where to start. Any suggestions?
Old 02-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Virtuoso

Mexico
1st grade teacher
You can watch many history videos on learner.org
Old 02-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
The Subtest IV responses are scored on a scale from 0 to 3, actually, and the plus marks are a little less informative than are the checkmarks and/or letters for each response.

Learner.org has some fine choices for takers of single subject English, too, in fact, though history videos might not be one's top choice.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:57 PM
Comrade

Lancaster, CA
I have a question regarding the Orange County Department of Ed study guides- Do these study guides contain actual information, or do they list resources and topics to study that I need to hunt for myself?
Old 03-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Newcomer

California
Upper Elementary Teacher
great advice on Orange County website

Wow! this is great. I will check this out right now. I feel like I have to spend a small fortune just to prepare for this test. Then there is the fee itself. this is all just to hopefully keep the current job I have as an elementary school teacher. I enjoy teaching and learning on my own, but this is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worksalot2 View Post
I took all four CSET English sub-tests at one sitting in July of this year and -- leading up to that -- probably spent more time trying to identify and then locate the best resources that I could find to prepare for these exams than I did actually preparing for them. I finally found a really good single source for this material: the Orange County Department of Education (OCDE), which will ship you a guide -- even if you are outside its "jursidiction" -- for one sub-test or all of them for a fee of from $30 to $55 each. I am from Northern California (well outside of the Orange County area) and I got all four and, although it wasn't cheap, it was well worth the cost. Although I read a lot of non-fiction literature and I am a competent writer, I took only those English classes in college that were absolutely required to graduate, so I had very little background in this subject area to fall back on going into these exams, yet -- after using this material to prepare -- I was able to pass three of the four sub-tests with no problem whatsoever. The only reason that I didn't pass the fourth exam (sub-test III) on the first try was that I simply ran out of time to complete the essays (but that was probably more a consequence of the fact that, under normal conditions, I compose text very slowly and deliberately and I have done it that way for so long that I could not overcome those old habits during the test session, plus taking all four sub-tests in one sitting is a pretty tough nut to crack, time-wise, as well, but I had no choice). However, I re-took just that single exam during the next session offered without doing any significant additional prep work and -- with the ability to therefore allocate vastly more time to this task -- walked out of the test session confident that I had done what I needed to do to pass that remaining exam. I am too new a participant to this site to include the URL in this post, but you can access the mail-in order form by "googling" the phrase "Orange County Department of Education". Once you access its home page, you will find a section titled "Featured Links". Click on the link: "Teacher Support & Credentialing", which will take you to a page titled "Instructional Services" and sub-titled "Institute for Teaching Excellence". Midway down that page, you will see a link labeled "CSET Test Preparation". Click that link, which will take you to a page titled "Instructional Services" and sub-titled "CSET Test Preparation". From there, click on the link near the top of that page labeled: "Click here for Study Guide Order Form" (a mail-in form that you must use to order this material). It is worth mentioning that they also offer prep guides for other subject areas as well, although I can't comment on the quality of the material they have to offer for the other subject areas. But I can highly recommend the material they have available for all four of the required CSET English sub-tests. I only wish that I had stumbled upon this resource myself before I wasted so much time trying to pull together my own little CSET prep library and -- in the process -- spent a small fortune buying a bunch of books that were much less helpful to this task and -- ultimately -- a lot more expensive on the whole than this collection of study guides proved to be for me. Hope this is of help to those of you still trying to clear this hurdle and best of luck to you!
Old 03-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Welcome to A to Z, giget.

The OCDE materials work well for many people - but let me also suggest the "Elmer's English resources" thread here in the Single Subject Tests subforum.

(Is it really the case that you must take CSET English in order to keep your job as an elementary teacher? That puzzles me.)
Old 05-16-2010, 01:24 AM
Newcomer

IL
English Language ICTS

Hey there,

I've been looking for resources for preparing for the English Language section of the ICTS. It's been a while since I earned my BA in Literature (1995) and I've noticed that most of the prep books have pretty bad reviews. Has anyone had experience with online prep sites such as Longsdale publishing? I see a lot of people have posted about things that have helped prepare for the test in CA - does anyone know how similar that might be to the ICTS?

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2010, 03:06 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Welcome to A to Z, kylito.

First, go to the ICTS Web site (http://www.icts.nesinc.com), if you haven't already, and have a look at the preparation materials online. The Web sites for most teacher tests offer some kind of test guide, study guide or preparation material that gives an overview of the material that can be tested plus some sample questions. The sample questions may cover less sophisticated material than does the test, but in format and approach they should give you a decent idea what you're up against. Be aware that there may be more than one document involved.

Next, since your test is not a Praxis test, find your state's content standards for English language arts. Tests produced for a state by what used to be NES are aligned to the standards for that state.

For material covered in ICTS that's also in CSET, you may well find CSET materials rather helpful: neither the indirect object nor the Romantic era tend to change much from one state to the other, you know?

I don't recall the ICTS passing score offhand, but scaled scores on NES tests typically run on a scale from 100 to 300 with passing somewhere in the neighborhood of 220 to 240 scaled points. In other words, you can get some questions wrong and still pass.

Oh, and breathe, please.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Rookie

San Diego, CA
English CSET

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has the OCDE English study guide that I can purchase from????? Also if you have any good study material that you suggest, I would greatly appreciate it!

Tags
english or history, single, sites, subject, web