A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 06-22-2006, 04:29 PM
Newcomer

Iowa
classroom mailboxes, etc

Hello!
I will be teaching fourth grade this year (last year I was teaching second grade, part-time)...I am wondering where I can find classroom mailboxes for my students that are cheap...I've looked everywhere!! Thanks!

Old 06-22-2006, 04:41 PM

Florida
Hi, Misshufford and welcome to AtoZ!

Did you look at www.Reallygoodstuff.com ? I don't think they are really cheap anywhere. You could make your own with stacking plastic file trays, maybe.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:22 PM
Devotee

On the West Coast
1st Grade Teacher
This site is awesome for classroom organization, and I believe they carry some sort of mailbox setup. But like all teacher suppliers, they are pricey! www.callowayhouse.com
Old 06-22-2006, 05:23 PM
Cohort

my husband had a gazillion cd cases with no cds in them. i hot glued them together to make mailboxes. it turned out really neat!

also, your school might have some that you could use. ask the principal. if not at your school maybe another school in the district does. we had some shipped from another school to our school (for another teacher). doesn't hurt to ask before spending the money.

LC
Old 06-22-2006, 05:31 PM
Comrade

Texas
Wow -- you guys are fast! I was going to say ReallyGoodStuff.com too. Love that website and the prices aren't too bad. They have a cardboard mail station that I have used -- it's pretty good.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:36 PM
Enthusiast

Central Ohio
One teacher I subbed for took a bunch (one per student) of the large-sized cans from the school kitchen. (The kitchen gets canned fruits and vegetables in them.) The teacher painted them, inside and outside. Then she stacked them in a pyramid shape. I am not sure how she connected them - some type of glue or bolted together?

That would be cheap!
Old 06-22-2006, 05:36 PM
Companion

Saskatchewan, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by misshufford
Hello!
I will be teaching fourth grade this year (last year I was teaching second grade, part-time)...I am wondering where I can find classroom mailboxes for my students that are cheap...I've looked everywhere!! Thanks!
I found the traditional "mailboxes" way too expensive so I bought a plastic hanging folder box and hanging folders which I labelled with the children's names. It worked extremely well!
Old 06-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Fanatic

Ohio
3rd Grade Teacher
I use a hanging folder crate like Doublescoop suggested. Also, to make filing easier for me, I alphabetized the students by their first name, not last name.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Rookie

I bought mine at Office Max, but it was on sale. I have seen some people use shoe organizers before. I have also seen it done the way GlendaLL suggested with the large cans or icecream cartons. Be creative!!!
Old 06-22-2006, 06:42 PM
Companion

The Mountains of North Carolina, US
1st Grade Teacher
I only needed a "mailbox" to teach the students letter writing so I didn't need a large box for each child. I bought an over the door shoe storage chart from the Dollar Tree. It is made of plastic and is covered with little pouches for individual shoes. I designated each child a pocket. During mail delivery the "postman" delivered letters to the pouches.

Tags
classroom, mailboxes