A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > General Education Archives

Old 06-20-2006, 09:44 PM
Novice

New Hampshire
What to say in my 5th grade graduation speech

Hi ya'll tomorrow night is my 5th grade class graduation. I'm one of the teachers so I have to make a speech. I hate doing these things because I get really nervous. Any suggestions what to say. I want to make it short but funny. What are the basics? I've been working with the kids but have neglected my speech. Thanks! Sarah

Old 06-21-2006, 05:53 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
Hi.

Are you the only one giving the speech? If so, you have carte blanche.

Could you do a take on "Everything I need to know I learned in Kindergarten".. only apply it to your kids and your school?

Or, more tradtionally: look back a little, at where they've been, then forward a little, to where they're going.

OPen with :"Thank you supereintendntet, principal, parents, friends, and members of the _____ class of 2006" Then find a good quote. End with a reference to that same quote.

Vague, I know, but maybe it will spark an idea. Good luck!
Old 06-21-2006, 06:15 AM
Novice

New Hampshire
There are many people giving the speeches. The other teacher,principal and students. I just don't know how short I can get by with.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:53 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
OK, how about this:

Intro, quote on education.
-story about a man on a beach. He saw thousands of starfish, stranded on the sand. He started wildly picking them up, one by one by one, and throwing them into the ocean. For hours he struggled, one starfish at a time, getting them to safety. An onlooker stood there, laughing. Finally he asked the man what he was doing. Without stopping, the man explained that, without his help,the starfish would die. The onlooker tried to explain that there were thousands of starfish;there was no way to possibly make any sort of a difference before the sun got too strong and they died. The man paused for a second in his work, held up a single starfish, and said: "To this one, it makes a difference."
(I forget the source of the story. You may be able to find it online, or admit that you forget the source.)

Then a short segue into how your students will make a difference in ways big and small in this world???
End quotation, thank you applause.

Tags
5th, grade, graduation, speech