A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > New Teachers Archives

Old 06-17-2006, 07:19 AM
Rookie

Houston, Texas
Job interview ... what to wear?

First of all .... hi! I'm new here.

This might seem like an obvious question, but I'm a bit rusty on such things as job hunting, etc. I've been staying home with my kids and I haven't taught since the year 2000. My son is about to begin kindergarten, so I'm gearing up to launch into my job search. I'll be seeking a job as a secondary language arts teacher.

My standard dress for the past few years has been workout attire. I don't have anything interview-worthy in my wardrobe, so I'll have to go shopping. (I hate shopping, by the way.)

So what should I look for when I hit the mall? One of my non-teacher friends recommends a stern black or dark blue business suit. Isn't that a bit much? I was thinking I could get away with wearing a dark, below-the-knee skirt, and a short-sleeved blouse of some kind.

And what about my hair? My friend thinks I ought to pull it back in a bun, but I prefer to just pull it back with a large clip, which is much more casual.

Any thoughts? What did you wear for your last interview?

Old 06-17-2006, 07:37 AM

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
I have had three interviews so far this year. I wore a black suit with a short sleeved white blouse under it. The suit has a blazer and a skirt that comes below my knee. I wore my hair pulled back in a bun for the first two (which were on the same day) and yesterday I decided to try a braid instead. I thought maybe my hair pulled up in a bun made me look to rigid.
Last year on my interviews I had a black skirt that comes to my knee. and a white shirt with my hair in a bun. I was offered one part time job that I did not end up taking.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:47 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
Hi, and welcome!!!

Do you have an interview lined up, or are you getting ready in general?

I'm back on the interview curcuit as well, after 6 years home with the kids (and a whole dress size, so I've had to invest in "teacher clothes" as well.)

I think that the appearance of professionalism is key, and in my book, that means a blazer or suit. I got a few suits on sale-- I always wear a suit for parent meetings. Since I'm HS math, I also sometimes wear a suit to work-- being up at the board makes that possible.

I haven't bought a blue or black suit-- the one I wore yesterday was a soft tan/blue plaid job. I got it on sale at JC Penney for $79. I buy a lot of suits there, always on sale. You might want to hit their website.

Plan B: Go for a blazer and floral skirt.

I think having your hair back in a nice clip would be professional enough.. not as severe as a bun.

We have a great thread on interview practice-- why not take a look there?
Old 06-17-2006, 07:56 AM

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
I bought mine at Kohl's each piece came seprate so it cost me 72 dollars for the whole thing.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:07 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeMarie
I bought mine at Kohl's each piece came seprate so it cost me 72 dollars for the whole thing.

OK, you win by $7:

I got some great stuff at Kohls too! I found a spring-tweedy type of blue skirt for like $8 on a clearance rack. Then, on the next clearance rack, a matching blazer (same manufacturer, same fabric) for like $20. I was one happy shopper that day!!!
Old 06-17-2006, 08:08 AM
Aficionado

Massachusetts
5th Grade Teacher
I always wear a black pants suit and I have a few shirts that I wear underneath. One is a pink sleeveless shirt, one is a light pink floral blouse with 3/4 length sleeves, and on occasion I've warn a pink and white striped collard button-down underneath. I really like the black suit, but I always try to add some color underneath.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:16 AM

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
LOL Alice,
I didn't mean to win.
Beth I can't find a pants that are long enough to fit me and fit around my waist. They are either to short or to big. So the skirt works best for me. Do you think a skirt is ok?
Old 06-17-2006, 08:25 AM
Aficionado

Massachusetts
5th Grade Teacher
Quote:
LOL Alice,
I didn't mean to win.
Beth I can't find a pants that are long enough to fit me and fit around my waist. They are either to short or to big. So the skirt works best for me. Do you think a skirt is ok?
I think a skirt is fine. I just don't wear them for interviews because I don't like to wear closed-toe shoes with skirts! haha
When I bought my suit I actually didn't buy it together. I bought the blazer at JC Penney, but didn't like how any of the matching pants fit so I bought a pair of black pants at Express that match perfectly and fit really well.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:51 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
Quote:
LOL Alice,
I didn't mean to win.
Why not? Winning is cool!! And, of course, I was only kidding.

I personally prefer skirts as well... just my own personal preferance unless it's bitter cold &/or snowy.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:18 AM
Habitué

USA
What to wear?

I just moved from Florida where the interview attire was a lot more informal, so I had to invest in a suit. I have my first interview next Tuesday. I did go with a suit, but I just couldn't bring myself to go with the standard black or navy, so my outfit is an ivory brocade with a pale pink blouse underneath and beige pumps. Does that sound acceptable?
Trinda

Tags
interview, job, wear