A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > General Education Archives

Old 06-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Cohort

2nd Grade Teacher
Why do you want to be a teacher?

I had an interview yesterday and this was the first question they asked me. Just curious what others say. I stammered on about how I like working with children, in a class, etc. I don't think I sounded very confident or convincing (although I really do like working with children and being in the classroom).

Old 06-14-2006, 04:27 PM
Aficionado

Massachusetts
5th Grade Teacher
Simply put, I want to be a teacher because I love watching students discover new things and witnessing those "lightbulb" moments when students start to understand something that they didn't before.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:32 PM

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
Oh love your answer Beth.

I would have done the same thing about stammering along and not sounding convincing.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:00 PM
Guru

I know what you mean...sometimes it is hard to put into words something that just "is". Teaching and interacting with adolescents is something natural that comes from within. I even wonder if I had any choice in the matter at all because it seems God chose it for me and tailored me for the profession. Anyway, this is not my answer to the the interview question, just saying...
Old 06-14-2006, 06:24 PM
Phenom

For me, I want to be a teacher because elementary school was such a positive experience for me; I want to make my students have the same type of experiences. Not such a hot answer, but the truth.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:46 PM
Habitué

Right about now I would WANT to say I want to be a teacher because I have summers off!!!! However I know that is the wrong answer. The advice with the above posters does sound really good.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:13 PM
Rookie

I said I wanted to be an elementary teacher because the classroom is such a huge part of kids lives. It's where they make new friends, learn things about themselves, etc. I didn't know then, but my experiences in elementary school have played a huge part in who I am today. To have nine months to have such control over some kids lives is an honor that I want to try my best to make positive.

And that's how I honestly feel.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:19 PM
Cohort

2nd Grade Teacher
I agree with one the above posters, its hard to put into words and sort of rationalize why one wants to be a teacher. I mean if I really want to help kids why not be a doctor, social worker, child pyschologist? Why teach? I feel like I should have an original answer besides I like and want to help kids. Maybe I just like the control
Old 06-15-2006, 02:47 PM
Phenom

I think it all stems back to our own experiences. For me, Kindergarten, especially was almost magical.... I loved the housekeeping area, all the hands on stuff... yes, I was a girly girl I would love to just recreate that. Besides, it's a home away from home. I can positively influence a child for a few hours a day. I'd say that's worth it.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:55 PM
Comrade

Florida
Middle School GATE Teacher
My first answer is that i love reading and love to help kids love it, too.

Tags
teacher