A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > General Education Archives

Old 06-14-2006, 07:53 AM
Rookie

Hicksville, NY
Middle and HS subbing

Hello, some of the comments on this board have got me thinking. I've always figured the best bet for me would be to sub lower grades K-2 since there was the least liklihood of running into problems. All of my teaching experience has been with this age group. I'm really tiny too and I thought the bigger kids would never be intimidated by me in the least. But so many have expressed pretty positive things about subbing the upper grades. Those of you that have subbed HS and Middle school, can you share some of your experiences with me? Pros and cons. What a typical day subbing HS is like and what kinds of problems you run into. I always had this image in my mind that if I subbed HS, I would be dealing with bad attitudes and breaking up fights all day. Are you supposed to teach lessons the teacher left or do your own thing etc.. Any ino would be great as I plan to sub in the Fall but not sure if I should limit the grades. Thanks!!

Old 06-14-2006, 10:54 AM
Comrade

Lancaster, CA
I have no experience with high school, but middle school isn't bad if you lay down your rules and are firm. The teacher (long-term sub) next door to me is small, but has a big tough voice. She has her kids in check! I unfortunately didn't start out the way I should have started- firm, making sure they know what's expected of them, etc. and now I'm paying the consequences because they are out of control and won't listen to a word I say. I'm long-term subbing in a middle school right now. I think that for the most part, some kids will have their attitudes, but most kids are good. But I would say try it out at least once, if you don't like it, don't do it again.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:41 PM
Comrade

California
High School Teacher
I agree with Terrence. Of course, I'm not slight of build or voice...but even that doesn't always work if you don't lay down the ground rules at the beginning. Just make it clear that you have your rules, what they are, and expect the students to stick to them. In my experience, as long as you start with some expectation of control and order, you will be better off...

Of course, if all else fails, the nice thing about middle/high school is that the periods only last 45-60 minutes...little consolation if you lost control five minutes in...

I highly recommend trying it and then you can see for yourself. I've had both good and bad experiences, but by far the good experiences have outweighed the bad.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:01 PM
Groupie

California
High School is easier than middle school. You simply hand out the assignments. 9th grade is like middle school so you hsave to lay down the law. Show confidence and that you mean business and most of the time students will not give you a hard time. follow the teacher's lesson plans. You might want to get Subsititiitutue Survival Guide Grades 6-12 by Jossy-Bass Publishing. It will give you gfreat lesson plans and tips for subbing with this age group. You might want to buy some sub preparation books for the younger grades. They always come in handy.
Sincerely,
Terry G.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:40 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
Also, for what it's worth, there are some GREAT districts on LI looking for permanent subs. Check the websites, and only apply to those that have those great reps.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:44 AM
Novice

Virginia
HI

Always have your expectations clear when they come into the class. When THEY get loud, you get softer.

I almost always sub in high school, and I love it.

I start by telling them a little about myself- for instance, I tell them that I taught in a juvenile detention facility, so teaching isn't 'new' to me, and that I'm working on my Masters.

I always dress very well, too. While a regular teacher can get by with being dressed casually, a sub really can't, as there is no history to build on.

Classroom management is the key with high school kids, most certainly.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:16 AM
Companion

Charlotte, NC but from Long Island, NY
I've subbed for middle school about a dozen times or so, I'm mostly subbed in elementary. But I hated subbing in middle school.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Phenom

Hi Fran- I see you've applied to sub. Good. It's a personal choice. HS'ers are more mature than middle school. You will not spend your day breaking up fights, but you can't let any kid know you are unsure of yourself. I would think that the teachers would leave plans as any other teacher would.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:10 PM
Rookie

tennessee
i am looking to sub this fall too,i am scared of high school myself.my problem is i know a whole lot of the high schools personally,and i am scared they will not look at me at an authority person,i am thinking of just subbing elementary.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:35 PM
Comrade

Florida
High School U.S. History
charliekay: Authority is born from respect. Are you not worthy of their respect? You as a (substitute) teacher is a different person than you normally are. You must "become the uniform", as I've heard a firefighter friend say. When you step into your job, you are your professional self, worthy of respect (and thus an authority figure) because of your position and your professionalism. Play the part, and you should be fine.

Tags
middle, subbing