A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Behavior Management Archives

Old 06-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Fanatic

Arizona
2nd Grade Teacher
Table Points

Do any of you do some sort of table points for management of small groups? If so, how do you record them, and what are the rewards??

I have a bee/garden theme in my room so I'm hoping to think of something... not necessarily prize oriented though.

Old 06-15-2006, 09:04 AM
Phenom

Arkansas, USA
2nd Grade All-Boy Teacher
I don't personally, but my CT did (who now happens to be a coworker). She had a small basket for each table. Each time a student was working hard or did a good job in the hall (either walking or during a bathroom break) she would put a "fuzzy" in their hand. A "fuzzy" is basically a pom-pom. The students would then put their "fuzzy" in their group basket. At the end of the week all the "fuzzies" were totaled, and the winning group got a treat from the treat jar. To follow your bee theme, you could buy black and yellow pom-poms and call them "buzzies" or something to that sort. The kids really had fun with it. You don't have to do a prize if you don't want to. Or the prize could be 5 minutes of free time (or something along those lines).
Old 06-15-2006, 02:47 PM

Illinois
Preschool Teacher
We did when I was student teaching (2nd)... my CT hadn't done it, but her sub and I needed to implement them when my CT was gone for a couple of days. We just kept a tally on the board, and added a point or two whenever it seemed appropriate. The team that won at the end of the day got the ceiling-hanging decoration we happened to be using at the time (maybe a bee or something to keep with your theme). They were SO proud!!!
Old 06-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Fanatic

Arizona
2nd Grade Teacher
Ohh a ceiling hanging decoration, that is so super cute, and easy! They would love it.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:25 PM
Novice

Florida
I did tally marks on a chart. On Fridays I let the winning team choose from the treasure box. It was a great incentive - quietest team, team that brings all their papers back that went home to get signed, team cooperation, neatest team, etc. Use it spontaneously so that you catch teams being good.
For individuals I gave the raffle tickets and had a jar on my desk. They would write their name on the back of the ticket and put it in the jar. At the end of the week I would draw a couple of names from that. It was amazing how many hands went up to answer questions if I started to hand those out - great for reviewing a concept. The tickets were about $3 for 500 tickets at Walmart.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:47 PM
Companion

Arkansas
I love the idea about the pom poms. That would be so easy. I had a captain of each group with a chart on their desk and they kept up with it. The table that won ate lunch with me on Monday's. I did take away points. What types of things did you guys give points for? I gave points for being respectful for a visitor in the room, homework, following instructions, group working well together, everyone being ready when told....just to name a few. I just am not sure how I would handle having to give something physically each time to the group. I'm not sure I'd be as consistent.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:49 AM
Novice

Las Vegas, NV
My principal made me do table points. I hated them I had a very chalenging class that already had issues with supporting each other. The table points made it even worse and allienated two of my most challenging students, nobody wanted them at their table or in their group. Just a word of caution. They work really well for a lot classes.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasLibra
My principal made me do table points. I hated them I had a very chalenging class that already had issues with supporting each other. The table points made it even worse and allienated two of my most challenging students, nobody wanted them at their table or in their group. Just a word of caution. They work really well for a lot classes.
I had the same issue with table points, but my principal understood and let me get rid of it. However, I think I am going to try it again next year. I read about an idea somewhere where each group had to get to 10 points. When the group did, everyone in the group got something. Once the group reached ten, only that group started over. That way, the groups were only competing to get the prize, but not necessarily with each other. You never know who is "ahead."

I might record how long it takes each group to reach 10 points. That way, they can compete, but only against themselves, by trying to beat their previous time.

It's still in the works!
Old 06-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Companion

Idaho
I have an ocean theme in my room and each table group is a different color. I have little colored whales on the board in the table group colors. When a table is working well, I put a tally by that table's whale. At the end of the day or week, I rewrad the winning table group with something small, such as first to recess or a small piece of candy. It works wonders! All I have to do is pick up a marker and they all quiet down to earn tallies!
Old 06-18-2006, 10:23 AM
Novice

Pittsburgh, PA
I taught 6th & 7th grade this year and I did row points. I had a special section on the board where I kept a tally for each row and class. On Friday, for each set of 5 points each row had, that was one entry into a drawing. I would pull out 1 winning row and that whole row would each receive a new pencil of their choice (since middle schoolers seem to never had a pencil!!!). It worked well and they used peer pressure to motivate each other to do the right thing so they could earn row points.

I also did the raffle ticket thing. I had jars on my desk for each of the classes and whenever I felt like it, I would pull some tickets. I gave school supply-type things as prizes - folders, notebooks, erasers, pens, etc. It's amazing the things they would do for a ticket!!

Tags
points, table