A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 05-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Rookie

California
What to expect at 2nd interview

Hi everyone - I have a 2nd interview coming up on Monday and was wondering what to expect. I am a new teacher and have been long-term subing while looking for a permenant teaching job. I had an interview with this school district several weeks ago - it was a panel type interview with 5 principals (talk about being stressed!). Well, they called me back and asked me to come in for a 2nd interview for a 5th grade position. I am SOOOOO excited, but not sure what they're going to ask me since during the first interview, each of the principals asked me 3 questions each. I'd really appreciate some input...thanks and send a good word up for me - I really need the job!

Old 05-20-2006, 04:04 PM
Cohort

United States
3rd Grade Teacher
Congrats on getting that 2nd interview! I would love to give advice, but I've hardly had a 1st interview. I noticed that you are from California. If you don't mind me asking, what school district did you get the 2nd interview from? Just wondering- I'm having a terrible time finding a job and I'm looking in both northern and southern Cali.
Good luck with the interview!
Old 05-20-2006, 05:32 PM
Rookie

California
Thanks Deena - I know what you mean, it's really awful trying to get a teaching job in California. I've gotten more rejection letters than interviews. My interview is with Yucaipa-Calimesa which is very close to where I live. Good luck with your search.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:14 PM
Novice

Florida/Southeast/United States
The one time I had a "second interview", I went in and met the other teachers I would be working with, followed them around for the day, and just kind of learned more about them. Unfortunately, I didn't get the position (the principal never called me back and told me). Anyway, that's what I would expect. I would imagine it's a good thing that you're getting a 2nd interview. Good Luck!
Old 05-21-2006, 05:22 AM
Habitué

Central IN
1st Grade Teacher
It is possible that this time there will be teachers asking you questions rather than principals....let us know.Good Luck
Old 05-21-2006, 08:22 AM
Rookie

Texas
second interview

Hello,
My second interview was with a group of teachers. This interview will probably be more specific as far as the questions pertaining to fifth grade. The big topics in my interviews have been differentiated instruction and teaching a diverse population.

Good luck,
Dawn
Old 05-21-2006, 08:52 AM
Rookie

California
Thanks to all for your help and good wishes....I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:06 AM
Novice

IL
5th Grade Teacher
Congrats! I just went to a second interview wed (3rd on thurs and offered me a job yesterday!)...
Usually the second interview is with a team of teachers from the school that is interested in you. Expect to answer more grade-specific questions or content-specific questions.
Some questions that have been asked at second interviews I have had:
What curriculum have you had experience with?
How do you feel about working with others/Do you work better alone or with a team?
How do you teach writing? What reading strategies are important and how would you teach them? What's your experience with special ed.? How would you use differentiation/examples of differentiation. Why do you want to work at our school/district? Would you be willing to sponser an extra-curricular activity or coach?

Just a few I remember clearly! Remember to dress professionally and to try to impress the teachers! I also try to make the interview more of a 'conversation' than a question-answer routine.

Good Luck!!
Old 05-22-2006, 07:49 PM
Rookie

California
I went to my interview today and I feel hopeful. It was with the principal of the school and she asked me about my education, how I would handle certain classroom situations, etc. She seemed impressed when I told her I had researched information about the school on their website, she said no one else she had interviewed previously had done that! She's looking over my portfolio and maybe I'll hear something good soon!
Old 05-23-2006, 04:14 AM
Habitué

Central IN
1st Grade Teacher
Hoping you hear from her soon kawikasgirl!

Tags
2nd, expect, interview