A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > New Teachers Archives

Old 04-27-2006, 07:57 PM
Novice

Illinois
Middle school interview - Eeek!

I have been out applying for jobs and I finally got an interview for a junior high school math and science position in a suburban school that I'm not very familiar with (save for doing a little research on their school and district websites). I did my student teaching in first grade, so I feel much better prepared to answer questions about elementary teaching than I do about junior high teaching. I anticipated being able to talk about guided reading and other primary-level content, so junior high questions are somewhat out there for me!

Does anyone have any ideas for either things that might be asked at the interview or important topics to bring up?

Thank you!!!

Old 04-27-2006, 09:37 PM
Comrade

Texas
I have only been applying for middle school positions even though I can teach as low as third.

The kids are the same but just bigger. They still need you to care for them and be able to relate with them.

Here are some questions that I have been asked in my three interviews for middle school jobs

-Name the best and worst experiences that you have had in middle school and how those experiences have affected your teaching style?

- How do you prepare for a lesson?

-What does your classroom management plan consist of?

-What is your philosophy of education?

-How do you deal with X situation if Y happens?

-Why should I hire you over another candidate that has more experience?

It is your normal interview questions that would work for all grade levels.

It is funny that I cannot think of any more of the questions that they asked.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:06 PM
Novice

Illinois
Thank you!

Thanks for your help! I have heard that people in the primary grades get asked questions about guided reading and techniques, and I was thinking there might be mention of middle school-specific methods.

If they're general-type questions, that is reassuring! Thank you!
Old 04-27-2006, 11:20 PM
Comrade

Texas
You will still be asked about techniques but they are many of the same things that you would use teaching in lower grades.

For instance, problem-based learning, cooperative groups, and differentiation techniques can be used no matter what the grade level you are trying to deal with.

The biggest difference IMO between 2nd graders and middle schoolers is MOTIVATION. You have to be able to really relate to your students in middle school or they will tune you out.

Tags
eeek, interview, middle, school