A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > General Education Archives

Old 03-26-2006, 06:10 PM
Companion

South Carolina
1st Grade Teacher
Round Robin Reading

I'm sure you all know what round robin reading is. It has been used for many years. My question is...what do you think about it? Is it good or bad?
My personal opinion is that round robin reading is a horrible idea! I believe that Guided reading is much more productive.

Old 03-26-2006, 06:18 PM
Aficionado

North Carolina
4th Grade Teacher
Our school district specifically prohibits round robin reading. Their reasoning is that #1 children who are poor readers can be humilated by being asked to read aloud, and #2 when poor readers are reading, the rest of the class can't focus or learn properly. Have you ever tried to listen to someone who was stumbling over most of the words? Did you retain much of the information that they read? I think that was the main point.

In guided reading time, we sometimes play "popcorn," which is when you start the reading and then call out "popcorn" and a person's name, and that person continues reading. In small guided reading groups, the children are grouped, so no one is really that much better or worse at reading, and they are practicing reading, not trying to learn content from listening to a poor reader. Also, a child can choose to read just a sentence, or up to a paragraph, before popcorning to someone else. It is fun to watch children become more confident and choose to read longer parts.

We do have a rule that only the teacher or the person who popcorned to you can help you if you are stumbling on a word, and that you must popcorn to someone who has not already been chosen.

Since you never know when a person may popcorn to you, you must stay focused on the reading.

I don't like round robin reading for content area, but I do think that the occassional use of popcorn reading in reading groups encourages children to read outloud, and helps build fluency. It also gives me a chance to hear them, because I can only tell so much when they are whisper-reading to me in guided reading, and because they tend to be more at ease, since "everyone" in the group is doing it too.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:22 PM
Companion

South Carolina
1st Grade Teacher
GREAT answer!!! that is exactly what I was thinking! I am still a college student, however, in all of my reading methods classes they completly push us away from round robin reading for that exact reason! I am soo glad to hear that some teachers are using other methods. Unfortunately, in most of my internships, all i have seen is round robin reading...it ahs been very discouraging. That is why I did not really mention what I would do in my original post, I wanted to see what others had to say about it! Thanks again for posting!
Old 03-26-2006, 06:55 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Round robin reading isn't so hot for the kid who reads really well, either: that kid is likely to read ahead through sheer boredom, especially if the book in play is basal or is leveled to everyone else, and then not be in the right place at the right time. Popcorn reading isn't a huge improvement, but it does make the faster reader HAVE to be lots less complacent.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:58 PM
Companion

South Carolina
1st Grade Teacher
That is the other point that is made in most of my classes. This is basically my view on this
I personally think that Round Robin Reading is extremely BAD!!! My reasoning behind this is the fact that each student reads at a different level. If the student reading is an excellent reader, then he/she will read quickly making it difficult for the slower readers to keep track of where they are. The same goes for slow readers. If the child reading is a slow reader, then the children who can read well will be forced to slow down and try to make themselves keep down with the reader.
Reading should be done in a different manenr. I beleive in guided reading. Guided reading is where each child has a copy of the book and EACH CHILD READS THE ENTIRE BOOK!!! This is very important. One good way of doing this is to create "Whisper Phones" or "Reading Phones" out of PVC pipe (if anyone would like directions please let me know!) This allows the students as a whole to read the book aloud, quietly, without bothering the person next to them. The wonderful part of guided reading is that each child can read at his/her own pace, so no one is being held back or pushed forward when their not ready.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:59 PM
Aficionado

North Carolina
4th Grade Teacher
I hear what you are saying Groupie.. but we only use popcorn reading in small groups, and they are grouped by reading ability, and are using reading books written at their level. Again, it is just an occassional "game,".. it in no way takes the place of our required daily guided reading instruction for every student. We are required to meet with every single student every single day for a minimum of 20 minutes of guided reading. No exceptions allowed. Even on field trip days, guided reading has to take place. Sometimes, it is very hard to make it happen, but we know it is required.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Aficionado

North Carolina
4th Grade Teacher
I guess I should have also mentioned that popcorn is only used as when the students are at the re-reading phase. We don't use it for the intial reading. That is done independently by each student, so they can move at their own pace.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:01 PM

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
RS how do you meet with every student for 20 mins each day? How many students do you have in class?
Old 03-26-2006, 07:04 PM
Aficionado

North Carolina
4th Grade Teacher
Twenty, and we MUST meet with each student each day in a small group of 6 or less. Our language arts block is 2 hours and 40 minutes long. It is a "non-negiotable" as our district calls it. It will happen, or you will not be teaching with our district any longer. That said, it has lead to HUGE improvements in our districts reading levels -- which is quite a success in an urban school district like ours.

Regarding whisper phones, you don't actually have to make them out of pvc, they are just the pvc pipe joint. You can see a picture of which type to buy at
http://www.fcps1.org/Documents/Whisper%20phones.pdf
Old 03-26-2006, 07:06 PM
Companion

South Carolina
1st Grade Teacher
cool

Tags
reading, robin, round