A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 03-25-2006, 10:44 PM
Rookie

Georgia
Substitute Teacher Remarks.

Hello! My name is Amber and I have just become a substitute teacher about a month ago. I am currently majoring in early childhood education. at my local college and learning a lot about this field.

I was wondering if a few teachers could tell me what they look for in a substitute teacher. What types of things have you noticed has helped you out (certain notes left...etc). Also, please note any things "bad" that past substitutes have done that you wish they had not.

I would like to learn from other teachers so that I may become a better substitute. In return it will hopefully help me in securing a job in the future. I appreciate any replies and to those who took to time to read this.

Old 03-26-2006, 01:17 AM
Maven

Southern California
SLP Grad Student & 1 Other Job
I'm not a teacher yet, but I've been a sub for a long time. This is generally common sense stuff, so I'm sure you probably know this, but here are some things to remember: Of course leave the room in a very orderly fashion. Take a little extra time at the end to make sure the kids clean up well, even if you have to scan the room after the kids left to make sure everything's in order & things are off the floor. Always leave a note of how the day went. The note shouldn't be too short & broad where it just says that the day was good or bad, but it doesn't have to be a 2 page report either. Include important details, such as: Which students were especially helpful or had excellent behavior and those who gave you trouble, what class work gave the majority of the class trouble (so the teacher knows what lessons to reiterate the next day), & any unique events that arise. Keep original notes on the teacher's desk such as: Nurse passes if you had to send anyone to the nurse, notes stating that a student went home early, phone messages & things of that nature. And of course if the students were supposed to bring something back such as field trip slips, book orders, signed progress reports, notes from parents, etc., you'll want to leave each type of note in it's own neat pile attached w/ a paper clip.

Try your best to complete everything in the teacher's plans. If you didn't have time to get to something, explain why in your note to the teacher. Put all of the day's books & materials in a neat pile on the teacher's desk.

If behavior was so bad where you had to rearrange the kids desks, just make sure to put them back in their original places at the end of the day. Good luck subbing!
Old 03-26-2006, 06:32 AM
Companion

Virginia
I really like to see that a sub made an effort to follow my lesson plans and complete needed work. I always leave more than should be needed so I don't expect it all to be completed. You would be surprised at how many subs don't do anything I have left for them. The other thing is to wait and let me give out awards etc. We have AR goas that the kids work for and I have a system to keep up with them. The last sub that I had gave 3 certificates for AR levels so when I got back and checked points at the end of the week, I awarded those same kids a second time.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:52 AM
Cohort

Southwest Missouri
I agree with luvmykids. We have a sub in our school that just does as she pleases. On one hand it is understandable, but on the other hand, it messes up all the future lesson plans that were already written down for the rest of the week or the following week. I think behsci gave you lots of great advice. I agree with all of it.

Best of luck on your subbing venture. You are obviously someone who cares about doing what's right and finding out how to better yourself. I think you'll be great!
Old 03-26-2006, 10:51 AM
Fanatic

Ohio
3rd Grade Teacher
I agree with the above, but would like to add: if something did happen or go wrong, please tell me about it - you can be sure the students will tell the next day! I had a sub say once that she didn't want to report a problem because she was afraid it would make it look like she couldn't handle the class; I would not worry about that, it is more important to know what went on.
Good luck!
Old 03-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Aficionado

Michigan
Please, please do the plans!! When my grandmother passed away I left plans on my desk, in a crate, everything in folders, clearly marked for what day they were for. The sub did none of my plans!!

When I came back I saw this note that had when my plan times were & what looked like her handwritten plans. As I explored my desk further I realized she had written her own plans, using papers that were copied for when I returned! She had not touched the crate, other then to move it off of my desk.

I was so frustrated to find that mess.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:35 PM
Companion

Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by missc
Hello! My name is Amber and I have just become a substitute teacher about a month ago. I am currently majoring in early childhood education. at my local college and learning a lot about this field.

I was wondering if a few teachers could tell me what they look for in a substitute teacher. What types of things have you noticed has helped you out (certain notes left...etc). Also, please note any things "bad" that past substitutes have done that you wish they had not.

I would like to learn from other teachers so that I may become a better substitute. In return it will hopefully help me in securing a job in the future. I appreciate any replies and to those who took to time to read this.
Did you say early childhood education? My girlfreind has that diploma and she cannot teach or substitute here in Ontario... can she? she is going to university so that she can get a degree and go to teachers college if she chooses to persue it. You did say majoring so maybe you are getting somthing more advanced.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:18 PM
Rookie

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInTraining
Did you say early childhood education? My girlfreind has that diploma and she cannot teach or substitute here in Ontario... can she? she is going to university so that she can get a degree and go to teachers college if she chooses to persue it. You did say majoring so maybe you are getting somthing more advanced.
I live in Georgia. To become a substitute teacher you must only have your GED or high school diploma. You do however, get paid much more for college experience...etc. I know with most states you have to be a certified teacher before you can sub, so Georgia is one of the few that have it another way.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:37 PM
Companion

South Carolina
1st Grade Teacher
Thats strange JoeInTraining....around here it's the same as missc...GED or high school diploma...i am also in college for early childhood education. When I graduate in 1 1/2 years....I will be able to teach where ever I want or well wherever I can get a job..
Old 03-26-2006, 06:41 PM
Aficionado

Massachusetts
5th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by missc
I live in Georgia. To become a substitute teacher you must only have your GED or high school diploma. You do however, get paid much more for college experience...etc. I know with most states you have to be a certified teacher before you can sub, so Georgia is one of the few that have it another way.
Most districts in my area require 60 college credits to be a substitute, but there are a few that require a 4 year degree. I don't know of any that require the person to be a licensed teacher to be a day to day sub, but most require long-term substitutes to be licensed.

Tags
remarks, substitute, teacher