A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Behavior Management

Old 06-10-2014, 10:16 PM
Novice

When the ENTIRE class is out of hand

I recently had a very rough experience while supplying in a grade 7 class. I've been teaching for a few years and have been lucky to get long term jobs that last through most of the year. But I usually spend about 2 months supplying during each year, either before or after my long term. I find that sometimes I get one of those classes where it seems like the entire room is acting up - not just a handful of students. When it's my own classroom, I can squash that behaviour through firm rules and consistent consequences; even if it's a rough group they learn in time that they can't get away with their behaviours, and they'll start to improve. However, I find it can be difficult as a supply for many resons. Especially with older students.

For example, this particular class was incredibly loud non-stop. Talking across the room to each other, wandering around, throwing things at each other, leaving the room without permission, talking back, etc. It literally never stopped. The room looked like a tornado hit by the end because of the disarray. It was a nightmare. I had nothing to really give as a consequence, because they don't have recess and there wasn't any gym or free time or anything like that to use. It was basically survival.

Does anyone have any tips of how to deal with WHOLE class issues, especially for someone who's only there for the day? I find when younger classes are busy, they respond to sternness. Older grades... not so much.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:00 PM
Connoisseur

California
SPED 9-12
You mentioned only being there for one day, so I'm assuming you are a sub.

When I subbed middle school I found it very helpful to introduce myself to the neighboring teachers before the day began. They would often offer to take key offenders off my hands. Usually when the whole class is disruptive, there are a few ringleaders who the others are following.

Also in middle school, I would get there early in hopes of a seating chart. If not, I would create the outline of the desks and make my own when the students arrived. I always carried the seating chart with me on a clipboard. I would tell the students that I would be recording stars by the names of the productive students so I could let their teacher know who performed the best. Very few students did not respond to getting stars by their name. They loved looking at the chart and seeing lots of stars and would often exhibit positive behaviors just to see a star added to their name.

Also, you must have a lesson plan or activity to implement in case the teacher does not leave one. You must seem very organized, positive and firm. Middle school kids enjoy making a flustered teacher get more agitated. They tend to respond to a positive attitude. Don't focus on the negative and reward positive behaviors.

Tags
class, entire, hand