A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 06-10-2014, 07:28 PM
Rookie

GA
5th Grade Teacher
So Many Interviews, But No Job...

After an interview today that I don't feel went particularly well, I'm just not feeling very optimistic. I need to have a job for the fall, and grad school just isn't an option right now. I just graduated college, so I don't have any experience in a classroom of my own. I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions of things that I could do to improve my chances of getting a job. Any books I could read or anything?

Old 06-10-2014, 08:19 PM
Companion

High School Science
i would suggest applying for substitute or Teacher aide positions. Sometimes its not enough to have a degree, you have to make connections and get your foot in the door by serving a few years in a position you may not love, but will give you teaching experience so that you can apply and get a teaching position.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:28 PM
Rookie

GA
5th Grade Teacher
I am planning on subbing next year in the district where I want to live if I don't get a job to hopefully do just that...
Old 06-10-2014, 08:43 PM
Comrade

CA
8th Grade Math
It was 24 interviews before I landed my current job. (Interview 11 also landed a one year position) Generally I found there to be two waves of interviewing/hiring. The first as school is letting out and resignations are becoming official, and the second a few weeks before school starts when principals return to find additional staff members have resigned. The good news is that second wave of hiring is still a month or two away. Also, having gotten multiple interviews is very encouraging. The bad news is there is likely to be a drop-off in hiring activity soon. Don't despair, lots more hiring is still ahead.

Good luck!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:41 PM
Rookie

GA
5th Grade Teacher
Thank you for the comforting words! It's nice to hear from someone who's gone through this process and come out with a job!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:45 PM
Companion

High School Science
research the school you are applying to and have some questions specific to the school. Read their school improvement plan, teacher handbook, student handbook, etc. any news article about the school: if their team won an award for sports, academics, etc.

Most can be found online at the school webpage.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:13 AM
Rookie

GA
5th Grade Teacher
I did have one question for them about the BYOD program there that I had read about online, and they seemed impressed by that. BUT the principal texted me last night and asked me to come in today to meet the fifth grade team, so I guess it didn't go as badly as I thought!
Old 06-11-2014, 09:33 AM
Multitudinous

Texas
Meeting the team sounds promising, rpickles!
Old 06-11-2014, 09:44 AM
Devotee

3rd/4th grade special education
Sometimes I read here about teachers who got offered every job they applied for. That wasn't me. Despite the fact that I have multiple certifications and I have been told I interview well, there was tremendous competition and it definitely took awhile.

Good luck with meeting the team. I hope it goes well.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:17 PM
Rookie

Texas
Special Education Teacher
I feel your pain. I have had interviews but no offers yet. Its frustrating but we must keep trying.

Tags
interviews, job