A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 06-10-2014, 11:59 AM
Newcomer

Does teaching at a charter school = a ruined career?

Hi all, I'm a teacher who recently returned back to central Ohio and I've been hearing some rumors about teaching at charter schools. Recently, I've been told by several teachers that by taking a charter school position, I'll have a very, very difficult chance of getting a public school job later. It was stated that good teachers don't teach at charter schools; charter schools are seen as the place for mediocre teachers. Basically, it boils down to teaching at a charter school, at least here in Ohio = career suicide. Has anyone else heard something to this effect or is this just rumor mongering at its sensational best? Thank you!

Old 06-10-2014, 12:08 PM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
The deal in Ohio is that it is SUPER difficult to find any teaching work in several parts of the state, either in public, private, or charter schools. The ODE job bank has openings, but they are mostly for charter schools serving grade 4-9 students. I'm in a charter school now, and I know public school might look critically at it if I decided to go elsewhere, but I'm working full time working with kids. That is the important part to me.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:15 PM
Newcomer

Right, I've been on ODE's website and the vast majority of jobs are charter and not public. Am I better off trying to sub for the public school system or should I take a charter school position? I've been offered a charter school job, but I don't want to if it will damage my career. So, do the public schools look negatively at you if you are a charter school teacher? I'm just so confused.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Companion

California
I don't know how it is in Ohio specifically, but I can tell you that I worked at an online public charter school for three years and then had no problem getting a job at a traditional public school. It definitely came up in interviews -- everyone asks about it and is curious to know what the experience was like. I always say it was a good learning experience but that I was ready to go back to a more traditional setting. So I don't think teaching at a charter school is necessarily career suicide, at least in my experience!
Old 06-10-2014, 01:59 PM
Groupie

SoCal
High School English
I suppose it's possible that the culture in OH would include a bias against charter schools. That's quite different in California. Here, if you lack experience and need a job, charter is the way to go. I get really frustrated with those in education who have a myopic view of what they believe it should be. All children should be educated in a public school and parents should not consider any other options. I hear it on these forums; nothing but slander about charter schools. I can't imagine how teaching at a charter school means that someone is a subpar teacher. Sounds like elitist nonsense to me.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:05 PM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
I cannot really tell how the post-charter search is in Ohio because I've been pretty happy for the past several years. However, several of my friends who have left my school have been able to find work in public districts. They usually had something a little extra to offer, such as coaching abilities, but they are doing well.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Fanatic

Virginia
3rd Grade Teacher
Experience in a charter school is better than no experience.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:09 PM
Fanatic

Ohio
Middle/High School English
Do be aware that MANY districts in ohio don't post openings on ODE.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:30 PM
Aficionado

Michigan
I use to hear that in Michigan too. Recently I know of several teachers who have left a charter school and gone to a traditional public school.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:18 PM
Connoisseur

CA
5th grade teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartDrama View Post
I suppose it's possible that the culture in OH would include a bias against charter schools. That's quite different in California. Here, if you lack experience and need a job, charter is the way to go. I get really frustrated with those in education who have a myopic view of what they believe it should be. All children should be educated in a public school and parents should not consider any other options. I hear it on these forums; nothing but slander about charter schools. I can't imagine how teaching at a charter school means that someone is a subpar teacher. Sounds like elitist nonsense to me.

THANK YOU for voicing what I have thought SO OFTEN on these forums!!

I have learned that the educational landscape is VERY different in CA than other parts of the country. Charters are much more widely accepted here, are held more accountable, have a longer history of success (NO, not all succeed, but many REALLY do), and are extremely numerous and can be found nearly anywhere in our huge state. I think everyone's view of charters is tainted by whatever state/region of the country they live in. Charters are run very differently and abide by different laws in various parts of the country.

I got hired at a charter in 2012 because it was the only job I could get in a terrible market. To say I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement. I am so impressed by my school, its track record, and the amazing educators I work with. Now it's 2014 and I actually CHOSE a charter this time around.

When I was first job hunting I actually had the same fears as you. (I'm not sure why, but I know it was partially from reading anti charter sentiments on this forum). Would charter experience "look bad"? Now I don't care. If I ever do switch to public (which, at this point, seems unlikely) I don't think I would want to work for a district that sees my experience as "invalid" anyway.

Personally, I can't imagine choosing subbing rather than teaching at a charter. I would have a hard time working in a state where subbing in public was actually viewed as more valid experience than actual full time classroom teaching in a charter, private, or any other type of school.

BUT...to answer your question, OP, this is regional. The Ohio answer must be a lot different from my California answer, or you wouldn't be asking this question.

ETA: I realize that many on these boards and out there in the great beyond have had terrible experiences in charter schools. I've also heard of people having terrible experiences in public schools. So...it's not always so black and white.

Tags
career, charter, ruined, school, teaching