A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 06-10-2014, 08:51 AM
Rookie

Had my first interview yesterday!!!!

First off, I was extremely nervous days prior. But just sat down and did the only thing I could do, which was prepare. Went through this site and other looking at possible questions to answer. Really helped me get ready and pre think at least part of my answer to get the ball rolling

Drove almost 2 hours to a rural community and met the principal and the superintendent. Interview lasted 45 minutes, nerves were still there but not bad. Overall it went well and it felt like we were just shooting the breeze towards the end. Typical interview questions i would assume.

I applied thinking it was for 6th grade (ad said for k and 6th grade). Well when we started talking they mentioned when they interviewed the first 6 people they planned on moving the current k teacher to 6th grade and then hiring a new k teacher to replace her. But now have decided to just hire a person for the 6th grade instead. So I could be 1 of 3 interviewers for that position.

I think the interview went well, I talked a lot about integrating technology and common core (they just transitioned to it and some teachers are struggling). After the interview the principal showed me around the school and my potential classroom. I was also introduced to the guidance counselor and the tech guy.

There will be a lot of things I have no experience with, block scheduling and during student teaching and my practicum I taught middle school social studies / geography. Here I would teach everything except social studies / geography.

So, some big changes but I am ready for them I think.

I should know either way in two weeks.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:29 AM
Novice

EFL, first grade, second grade
It's great that the preparation paid off. I'm working through flashcards of potential interview questions for my first interview next week, and I'm nervous,too.

I wish you the best of luck. Keep us updated!
Old 06-10-2014, 05:01 PM
Virtuoso

MICHIGAN
6th Grade Math/SS
Fingers crossed for you!
Old 06-10-2014, 10:50 PM
Rookie

Is it common to be nervous after a job interview?

Worried if I should take the job if offered?
There are pros and cons to the job

Pro
1. It's a job and I will make 3 times what I make now + my wife will be able to stop working full time and go back to school and work part time.
2. I love teaching (I loved 6th grade in my ST experience)
3. The principal and I got along great
4. new things can be good (after you get used to them)
5. its experience and that's what I need to land my dream job

------------------------------------
Cons
1. I have to pull my daughter out of 3rd grade and move (want my kids to have a stable school life)
2. I currently own my home and like the location I am living (by family)
3. The classes I will be teaching (math, language arts, reading, keyboarding and fine arts) I have 0 experience with)
4. If I use it as experience I will have to move my daughter and now school age son again.
5. If I could teach middle school kids about social studies / geography all day it would be perfect
-------------------------------------------------
Overall I know if I accept the job I will kick butt and love it, just don't want to accept a position and then have the dream position open up close and I not be able to jump on it.

I know a bird in the hand saying. lol

What would you guys do?
Old 06-11-2014, 05:16 AM
Habitué

North Georgia
5th Grade Teacher
It is normal to be so nervous after the interview because you have so many What Ifs going through your mind.

And it sounds like you do have a lot to think about. I feel like I am or was in a similar position as you without quite so many obstacles. I got a job, and I know I am going to love it, but it is right at the tip of being too far. We just moved here so I am not moving, but I wish I could have gotten in the district that my girls go to. But I decided that really, this is going to be fine. I know me, and although I'd LOVE to be in the school that is a few minutes from my house, I doubt I will ever move. Once you establish a classroom and the community trust, that is hard to rebuild again. I think although my dream option is close to home, I am going to love my new place and make it mine. Plus, this means when I go to the grocery store or the pool, I won't be spotted as Mrs. B but have a little more privacy.

So my advice would be to take the job. If you worry about the moving aspect, maybe try commuting for a year. That would be so hard, but it is an option as well.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:41 AM
Phenom

Disney country
Back in the saddle again!
If it is too far to commute, you could rent a small efficiency in that town and commute on weekends. It's tough, but I speak from experience. I moved for my job three years ago and my husband stayed in the old town. We thought it would only be for one year but his transfer took a long time. He came and visited several times each year.

He just got here full time a few weeks ago.

Tags
interview, yesterday