A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 06-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Companion

California
Commute vs. teaching in your community?

I am currently commuting about 45 minutes to an hour each way depending on traffic. For reasons including the commute, I have been applying to other districts, and now I have an interview in the (small) town where I live. I am a little nervous about teaching in the town where I live, though...I am imagining seeing students at the gym, the grocery store, out at night, at summer music festivals...Am I over-thinking this, or is this a serious issue to be concerned about? Part of me thinks I'm making up reasons not to have to start over, but another part of me thinks that this could really have an impact on my daily life.

So what do you think? Would you rather have a commute, or see your students everywhere? Have you taught in the community where you live, and how did it feel?

Old 06-09-2014, 05:13 PM
Cohort

Florida
3rd Grade ELA
I just transferred to my neighborhood school this past fall. My house is 2 miles from school. I see my students EVERYWHERE. Grocery shopping, the park, our subdivision pool, and in the neighborhood. It's been an adjustment, but I don't mind it. I teach 3rd grade and they are thrilled to see me out in public.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:23 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
I wouldn't worry about it. Look at this as an opportunity to know your students on another level.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:32 PM
Aficionado

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
I teach where I live. In fact I used to live in the same neighborhood where 3 of my students lived and that neighborhood was a major hangout spot for a lot of them. I didn't mind it, I saw at least a few students every day. I teach high school by the way.
I think it's actually brought me closer to them, because that area was really bad (which I didn't know when I moved there) and somehow I was more approachable, someone that wasn't stuck up, that their neighborhood was good enough for me, I didn't think I was too good for that... this was their perception.

I moved since then because I got broken into, but I still live in the same town, only 5 minutes away.

My P suggested that I live in the nearby city like most teachers do, otherwise I'll be bumping into students, and they'd be in my business. So far that's not true, when I go out, I go to the nearby city and my students would never go to the same places I go. So so far it hasn't been an issue and I don't think it will be.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:32 PM
Phenom

Disney country
Back in the saddle again!
I have almost always lived in the same community I have taught in. I have even lived right next door to two of my students at the same time (one each in the houses on either side of me.)

It has never been an issue. The kids get used to seeing you around town and usually they say hello and we each go about our business.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:33 PM
Comrade

Eastern USA
High school
I've worked and taught in the same community before. I miss it; it was nice to feel like I was making a real contribution to my community and to be involved closely in it. Encounters with students was never a big deal. My wife teaches in our community, and one of her students even lives across the road. No big deal.

I also have finished my sixth year of teaching in a school 90 minutes away. Nice school, but the traveling was burdensome, to say the least.

Next year, I'll be teaching in a new school 40 minutes from home, which will be a relief.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:44 PM
Fanatic

California
Vice Principal (K-5)
I was born & raised in the town I work in. In fact, I attended K-5 at the school where I serve as VP.

I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:02 PM
Connoisseur

2nd Grade Teacher
I used to work on a military base and live in the small town that was right outside the base. I was surprised that I rarely saw any students in the 3.5 years that I worked there.

I've worked 45 minutes away and hated the commute. Most of my jobs have been 20-25 minutes away, and that commute was perfect for me. I just got a new job that's 40 minutes away. I have a new baby and don't want to commute that long, so we're most likely going to move closer soon.

I don't think it will be too bad living closer. You'll get used to seeing the kids!
Old 06-09-2014, 06:22 PM
Connoisseur

CA
5th grade teacher
I've actually always kind of wanted that. I grew up in a small town and attended a school where most of the teachers lived in the area. It was a close knit community and I really liked it.

Currently, the area I teach in is....less than desirable. I'll put it that way. I commute from a nicer area about 20-25 minutes away. I don't mind that length of commute time at all.

The area I'll be teaching in this coming school year is nice, but it's not very close to my family. Part of the reason we are moving is to be closer to them. We are starting out living closer to my family, but we'll see where we end up eventually. It's a new experience, so we will have to feel it out for awhile. My commute will be about 20-25 minutes just like it is now, which doesn't bother me at all.

In general, I really wouldn't mind bumping into students/families in public. It would be kind of fun, actually. However, sometimes I do want a break and a little separation...
Old 06-09-2014, 06:37 PM
Connoisseur

Arkansas
Upper Elementary Teacher
I've done both. I currently teach where I live, and I definitely run into students on the weekend. It's usually a quick hello/ hug (I teach elementary), then I'm on my way.

Tags
community, commute, teaching