A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > General Education Archives

Old 03-22-2006, 04:30 AM
Comrade

West Virginia, USA
Something to ponder

A local high school, public, has a picture of Jesus hanging in the hallway outside the principal's office. Don't know how long it has been there. A concerned parent has requested that it be taken down. Principal did not remove the picture. Parent went to the school board and they are dragging their feet on making a decision.

As a Christian that picture does not offend me. As a matter of fact it gives me comfort. But I am smart enough to know that there are some who would find the picture offensive. Students are now protesting outside the school across the street to keep the picture in place. The board of ed has decided that for each day the students miss class to protest it will be counted as an unexcused absence. I think that makes sense.

My concern is if the school board allows the picture to stay in a public school then they are opening the door for all religious sects to "advertise" in the public schools. How do you feel about that?

Old 03-22-2006, 10:11 AM
Connoisseur

Florida
Your principal is an idiot. Symbols of his religion no more belong
there than those of Muslims, Jews, Hindus or any other.
What kind of message does that send to children of other
faiths? He belongs in a private school where he can save
souls without impunity. He has no more right to do that
than I have to put a cross on my playground.
What an embarrassment he is to public education.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Comrade

Wyoming
Hmm, Well I think he should take it down. It is depicting a particular religous faith. While Im on the creationist side of the whole science issue...I dont think religious symbols should be in school, at least not public schools.

lol...I dont have a problem with the ten commandments being displayed though...hmm.

While Im against taking God out of schools...it isnt fair to have just Him represented only.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:36 PM
Aficionado

Wisconsin
Former Pre-K and Elem. Teacher
So let the other religions advertise in the school. So what. I wouldn't be offended if a picture of Buddah was hanging so I don't think others should be offended by a picture of Jesus. I say GET OVER IT and people need to stop causing more arguments than what is needed!!! Turning the other cheek is more the adult thing to do then to fight over a stupid poster.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:38 PM
Aficionado

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenpe
What an embarrassment he is to public education.
Do you think God would tell him that too as he's standing at the pearly gates of heaven?
Old 03-22-2006, 01:29 PM
Comrade

West Virginia, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenPooh
So let the other religions advertise in the school. So what. I wouldn't be offended if a picture of Buddah was hanging so I don't think others should be offended by a picture of Jesus. I say GET OVER IT and people need to stop causing more arguments than what is needed!!! Turning the other cheek is more the adult thing to do then to fight over a stupid poster.
I see your point Jen as long as we are talking about major world religions. However, I have a problem with opening the school to all religions such as those with Satan as their center piece. Know what I mean?
Old 03-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Comrade

Virginia-United States
Kindergarten Teacher
I agree with JenPooh. Any religion that would like to advertise should be able to. People spend too much time in life being offended by other peoples choice of religion. Why should it offend someone to see a picture of Jesus? Or any other "higher power" involved with religion? People are too scared of what they "don't know" or choose not to know.

In every room in my school we have a framed picture with "In God We Trust" written on it next to our flag. Do you guys think that should be taken down too since we are a public school? To my knowledge we've never had a parent complain.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Aficionado

Wisconsin
Oh 1stferg, I totally know what you mean, but what are the chances of that happening? Probably small. Plus, if someone was to sue a school for not letting them worship Satan, I would be willing to bet the family wouldn't win due to the content of the hateful "religion" (if you can call it that). Other religions are at least about peace and love, Satanists are not...totally different.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:44 PM
Connoisseur

Connecticut
Kindergarten Teacher
This is a tough issue. While I wish that all faiths could display their "centerpieces" proudly, I would hate it if there were demonic pictures hung up in schools. I heard once that students couldn't even wear religious shirts to school until they were in 8th grade (or maybe high school), because they didn't want the students to influence each other religiously...
And, there is a debate about taking the "In God We Trust" off of out money...I think that is a little out of hand. Isn't that what this country was founded on?
Old 03-22-2006, 01:46 PM
Aficionado

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherC
Isn't that what this country was founded on?
YES!

Tags
ponder