A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Student & Preservice Teachers

Old 03-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Newcomer

Washington
Letter of Introduction to parents from student teacher?

I am entering student teaching in a couple of weeks. Is it appropriate to send parents a letter introducing myself? My University does not require it and I cannot find templates or guidelines on the Internet. I really have no idea what to put into such a letter, any ideas? Also, I am concerned that if I send such a letter some parents may be worried about their child's success with a new teacher in the classroom. How do I handle that?

Help! Mary

Old 03-18-2006, 09:19 PM
Cohort

Well Teacher Mary, maybe the best thing to do would be to talk to your supervising teacher in the classroom that you'll be working in. See if she will include an intro in her weekly newsletter for you. I have seen this done. Wish it had been done when I went through student teaching,but it wasn't. Andthen again that was 20 years ago.
Another thought would be to check out the magazine MAILBOX or INSTRUCTOR . They have articles on student teaching and what your "supervising" teacher can do to help ease your way into the classroom. They might even have a template for that sort of thing.
Good luck. I hope your student teaching is a wonderful experience, one that you'll treasure for the rest of your career.
Munchkin
Old 03-18-2006, 11:49 PM
Devotee

California
Kindergarten Teacher
I'm surprised your teacher ed program doesn't require it--I had to do it for each student teaching assignment I had. I used a few graphics (cartoons) to dress it up, copied it onto colored paper, and distributed it with students during my first week in each class (after asking the Master Teacher to review it first). It was in standard letter format, and I gave my name, my status in school, and the days and hours I would be in the classroom. I emphasized my excitement at working in their children's classroom and added that any time they were on campus, I'd love for them to drop in and introduce themselves to me! I also asked them to feel free to contact me with any quetions about my responsibilities in their children's classroom, saying they could email me or leave a note at the school. Very simple, but informative. I heard some positive comments from parents during a classroom party, and my university instructor kept one of them as a sample for other student teachers.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Maven

Southern California
SLP & 2 Other Jobs
I've completed 3 blocks of students (each bkock is a 3 month period) & I've never had to do it. It's up to the co-op teacher to say something to the teachers if they want.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:35 PM
Devotee

California
Kindergarten Teacher
I really think parents appreciate the effort. And it never raised any questions from them as far as I know. It's also good practice because when you have your own classroom, you will do a LOT of parent communication! Good luck!
Old 03-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Connoisseur

New York
Reading Teacher
I just fininshed my first ST assignment and I have one more to complete. I sent out an introductory letter and in fact, my school encouraged it. They didn't require it, but they did mention to us that it would be a professional way to introduce yourself. What you don't want to happen is have the kids go home and say good things about you and the parents are calling the school confused about this new teacher in the classroom. The kids always went home talking about me and there were times when I met parents at the door and even had to call a couple parents for emergency reasons and if I didn't send home the letter, they probably wouldn't even know who the heck I was . So do it, have your CoOp teacher review it and leave a good impression on the school and on the parents. You never know if you might want to teach in this district.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:11 AM
Rookie

Minnesota
Thumbs up Letter of Introduction

My first placement (that only lasted 2 weeks) suggested a letter of introduction, which was brief, but informative.

Being a non traditional grad student (in my 40s, raised a family, lots of kid experience and another career), there was a lot to choose from. Keep your information pertinent to the parents/students you are involved with. If you have volunteered, that is always good to include. If you are interested in reading mine, I'd be happy to email it to you directly, though I don't know how to get email addys from this site.

When my placement changed, I suggested it and the principal was all over the idea and wanted to make sure I got it out immediately. The parents were very appreciative and many have made a point to come in and introduce themselves. The ones that volunteer regularly have also made very positive comments regarding my teaching....which in any position, is always nice to hear.

Good luck, remember, keep it short and sweet and pertinent.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:59 AM
Rookie

Australia
letter

im starting my final 10 week prac in may. i wrote a letter of introduction- (i dont need it either) and showed it to my teacher. i explained i was a 4th student, there for 10 weeks and i was looking forward to the experience.

keep it short and sweet.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:47 PM
Newcomer

Illinois
I am starting student teaching in January, but will be in the classroom on Mondays and Wednesdays until Winter Break. I am also a non-traditional grad student (35 yrs old - second career). I would love to see your introduction letter finetimes123. Thanks -
Old 11-27-2006, 08:13 PM
Rookie

Texas
I just finished student teaching 2nd grade and this is what I did... I waited until I got to know the kids (about a week) then I wrote each child a post card briefly introducing myself and telling them that I was excited to be teaching them and that they were special... I sent it to their homes, so I know parents saw it and it meant a lot to them!

Tags
introduction, letter, parents, student, teacher