A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 03-18-2006, 05:59 AM
Novice

NJ
PIP (professional improvement plan)

My principal is giving me the weekend only to write my PIP. I am new and have never done this before. I have been searching the web for ideas how to write this and what to write. HELP.

Old 03-18-2006, 07:23 AM
Fanatic

Ohio
3rd Grade Teacher
What is your format? Do you need to come up with a certain number of goals?
Give us some more info and I bet someone can help.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:27 AM
Novice

NJ
Yes, I have to list 2-4 goals with timelines. Someone suggested to me that I make the goal for one year ending by 2007. Does that make sense?
Old 03-18-2006, 07:51 AM
Fanatic

Ohio
3rd Grade Teacher
I guess it depends on what the goal is. We have to set our goals in the fall, and then wrap up by spring.
Some possible goals: read a certain professional book (example, Strategies That Work), attend a workshop or class this summer to obtain certain training.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Novice

NJ
I just got hired in Jan. - I was thinking in terms of attending seminars, workshops; exploring ideas for individualized work for non readers. Fro example, I am a special ed. teacher and I work with my different levels in my class plus different grade levels. I have a non reader in there, 3rd grade. He can get into mischief if not working.
It is hard for me to work with others and make him independent b/c he can't read at all. He stumbles on "the". I have to find a way to have him do independent work that doesn't require reading.
I am not sure how to write that as a goal for next year.
Plus, where to get I the ideas for this goal???
Old 03-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Phenom

Sp. Ed. Teacher
I would be sure to choose something that you will have time to do. Being a first year teacher especially in sp. ed., I will not think big. If you know of any workshops or seminars regarding teaching reading, I would choose this as a goal for myself.

You may say that you will explore instructional material for non-readers. For example, you may use the BoardMaker program to make picture directions, so that your child could be more independent. If your school has Language Masters (which are excellent) you could put the directions on the card (the child could attempt to read it)and then he could slide the card through the Language Master. The LM would be great for sight word recognition practice (write the word on the card, the student attempts to say the word/slides it through the LM and repeats the word).

I may want to include a goal about using incorporating the computer to teach your students. Research educational websites, using programs like Kidspiration to reinforce learning.

Ask if you could have one regarding interviewing other teachers regarding specific topics (ie.behavior management, planning for multi-grade classes, teaching in multi-grade classrooms...)
Old 03-18-2006, 03:31 PM
Novice

Indiana
Our goals have to be measurable. So we pick a state standard like reading fluency and make a goal in the fall. We then track our goal throughout the year. I have my students track their fluency scores each month and they graph them using excel. At the end of the year it is very nice for my goal (easy to complete the goal review sheet) and also the parents to see their child's gains in the area of fluency. Other teachers have tracked spelling, math facts, or reading comp. skills. Hope this is helpful!
Old 03-18-2006, 04:52 PM
Phenom

Sp. Ed. Teacher
Why don't you pick a reading goal, a math goal and since you are teaching sp. ed. why don't you pick a behavior or social skills goal. If you do reading assessments through out the year, you could say something like __% of your students will increase their reading level by _______. If you do math interim tests, you could say something like __% of your students will get ___% or higher on their interim tests. Do your students have similar behavioral or social skills goals that you could measure? Maybe you would like to measure their independence in the classes they are mainstreamed for -- ie. __ out of __ of my students will sit independently during lunch.

You may also want to use their IEPs to set up goals. For example your students will meet ___% of their IEP objectives.

** I have found it easier to find something that I do in my class that is similar to the general ed. classes. That way if I need material or have questions, there is always someone who could help me.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:54 PM
Companion

Edmonton, Alberta
I asked to see my principal's growth plan, and a couple of colleagues'. That gave me more of an understanding of what she wanted. We included personal health goals (like yoga, etc). Learning a specific strategy is one goal (for our system, we're focusing on Dr. Mel Levine), so my goal was to read one of his books, to attend his seminar, and to practice "attuning" one child. Has your principal given you any examples, or outlines?
Please pm me if you would like to see mine as an example.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:43 AM
Novice

NJ
Great suggestions thank you. I don't think there is a Lang. Master, never saw one. I will ask the other teachers. I never heard of Board Master.

I am not wired to the internet so the computer educational website is out. RATS. I would like to incorporate the computer more esp. for the non reader.

I did like the idea of interviewing. I plan to write it first in pencil, rough draft. Show some tenured teachers, then if I have to change anything I will.

My principal has not shown me anything. All observations have to be done by March 31st. I got my 1st observation on March 10th.
This coming week, March 20 - 24 we have state testing so she won't be in then, too disruptive to the kids. BUT as my co workers said bet she will come in the last week. Here is another point, new teachers have to be observed 3x a year. Since I only started in Jan. 2006, does she have to do 3x or just 2x?

The principal did say " do not say read journals, magazines as my goal." not sure if it has to be measured by standards.

I will ask other teachers tomorrow. she didn't give me much time for this.

Tags
improvement, pip, plan, professional