A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 04-08-2014, 09:19 PM
Cohort

Adjacent To Your House
Undergraduate
Teaching Outside of Subject Area

Have any of you had to teach a subject you were not certified to teach? Do you know of a teacher that this happened to? What are your thoughts on this type of scheduling?

I remember one of my teachers telling me he/she had to teach italian. The bad thing was he/she did not even speak or write the language. My first thoughts are why would administrators do this? Why not just cut the language because they always had spanish anyway.

I had a math teacher tell the class about another math teacher who is not certified to teach math. The person apparently is a certified Art Teacher. Now maybe you could get away with a certified science teacher doing that. I think Art is a long jump out of the content area. Plus this teacher happens to teach an AP math course as well. I think one of the certified math teachers with a masters in pure math should teach AP.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:37 AM
Fanatic

Virginia
3rd Grade Teacher
I spent a summer working with children with developmental disabilities... I'm technically endorsed in that area (generic special ed), but generally it's teachers with more specialized special ed certificates that work with those populations.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:15 AM
Enthusiast

California
Working Class Teacher
I had to teach family life, drug and alcohol, and drivers ed for a semester.

I was credentialed only in History at the time.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:58 AM
Companion

California
I taught middle school at a private school for three years, and while I am technically certified for secondary, in my opinion middle school is totally different from high school, which is what I student taught, and I was completely unprepared for the younger grades. I was also teaching Social Studies which I was not certified in. I basically taught it like a Language Arts class with lots of reading, writing, and projects. The first year was grueling since I was often just a day or two ahead of the kids -- but it was fascinating how much I learned, lol! I actually really enjoyed teaching Social Studies, although middle school not so much. I do think I had bitten off more than I could chew in that first teaching position (I had five separate preps and no prep period, and a host of other issues to deal with).
Old 04-09-2014, 10:02 AM
Aficionado

Texas
HS English and Driver's Ed
In my former district, during my 2nd year of teaching, I was assigned a 7th grade math class.. I'm certified for 6-12 ELA, journalism and history (and driver's ed)! It was a horrible experience, but apparently it was "legal" because (at least at the time), a school could fill an open position with any certified teacher as long as it was for just one class period a day. I don't know if that's still true.

I spent all of my time prepping for that math class. Each afternoon, my math teacher friend would "teach" me the lesson, walk me through where the kids were most likely to get stuck, etc., and then I had to present that the next day. It was horribly frustrating for me and them. I'm sure I did a lot more harm than good that particular year.

The following year, and my last at the school and in that district, I was assigned an 8th grade life science class. It was a lot less difficult because I knew the content a little better, and in a lot of ways, teaching science mirrors teaching non-fiction reading... lol. I relied heavily on that skill!
Old 04-09-2014, 02:36 PM
Aficionado

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
I teach Communications and I had no idea what to do or even what the class was about. Apparently last year it involved a lot of journalism and watching movies. It was taught by an English teacher so there were a few writing projects.

I tried doing it similar but it wasn't working out and it was not fun, so I decided to do it my way and taught it more like a technology class where students did projects with different technology tools. I included writing on blogs, photo editing, coding, website design, and I'm hoping to get into video editing (once I can get the website I need unblocked by my district) next. Way more fun, a lot more enjoyable for me, and I believe for the kids as well.

Also gives me ideas of how to do more technology assignments and projects in my science class.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:39 PM
Connoisseur

Maryland
US History & World History
I taught Health to MS one year. The school had a curriculum for me to use, but it was still a hassle since I am certified for 7-12 History.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:19 PM
Virtuoso

MICHIGAN
6th Grade Math/SS
I don't personally know of any instances of this, but I think it depends on the teacher and the subject area.
I am certified early childhood, K-6 self contained, 6-8 math, 6-8 social studies. I could easily teach 9-12 math and social studies. I could also teach Earth Science, ELA, and some electives.
Chemistry? I've never taken it. Biology? I detest it. Foreign Languages- I can't remember them
Old 04-09-2014, 07:37 PM
Connoisseur

California
SPED 9-12
A a sped teacher we can be asked to teach core subject areas outside our bachelors. My BA is in English, but now I'm teaching/tutoring Algebra 1, Algebra 2, and Geometry. I love teaching math! If I knew how much I'd enjoy this, I would have gotten my degree in math
Old 04-09-2014, 07:37 PM
Enthusiast

Ohio
Middle/High School English
My district refuses to do this, which I appreciate. I think in the past it may have happened though.

I'd feel comfortable teaching US history for sophomores and French I.

Tags
area, subject, teaching