A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 04-08-2014, 06:41 PM
Connoisseur

CA
5th grade teacher
I think I'm going to love upper elementary...

I've posted on here before that I got a job for next year where I want to live teaching 5th grade. I teach 1st at a K-2 school right now, so I felt like it had been awhile since I'd even *seen* a fifth grader. Yesterday, I visited my mom's school (I'm on spring break) and spent the day in a fifth grade class. LOVED. IT. I cannot wait to teach the older elementary kiddos. I am totally bursting with excitement and ideas. I really thought primary was my "niche" and that I'd be there forever, but lately I am feeling that upper elementary may be a new home for me and that I may love it even MORE. Just wanted to share my excitement, I guess.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:43 PM
Connoisseur

Arkansas
Upper Elementary Teacher
. 5th is my favorite!!
Old 04-08-2014, 06:48 PM
Connoisseur

CA
5th grade teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by agdamity View Post
. 5th is my favorite!!
They are just so funny, independent, and SMART! I really loved spending time with them yesterday. It was so fun to see their personalities coming out. Primary is just so, SO different.

It's funny because when I tell people (non-teachers) that I teach first their reaction is always "AWWWW THE CUTE LITTLE KIDS " but when I tell them I'll be teaching fifth it's always "Oh....yikes...well, good luck to you..." lol. I don't really get it - they're not middle schoolers YET!
Old 04-08-2014, 08:16 PM
Companion

People who visit my class always say they were so nervous beforehand, because, well, they're the big bad 5th graders. Then they come and get smothered in appreciation for even existing, genuine curiousity about who they are, and hilarious antecdotes.

I love 5th grade. They're old enough to be independent, young enough to still look to you for guidance. You'll have so much fun.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:48 PM
Connoisseur

Arkansas
Upper Elementary Teacher
They can have "middle school drama" in the spring, especially once we start the process of picking electives for middle school. But really, it's just part of the process of growing up and learning how to navigate friendships. I really enjoy seeing them develop into their own personalities!
Old 04-08-2014, 11:31 PM
Phenom

Northern CA
5th Grade
Fifth is totally the best. I keep having to pinch myself for ending up where I'm at-perfect school, perfect grade level. Just remember next fall when you get your class and they seem really squirrely that what you saw today was the product of 7+ months of your mom's work. When they come to you in Aug/Sept, they will really be like fourth graders. Which will still be a huge step up from first. Congrats, and I'm SO happy for you! Always here to share ideas and excitement.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:34 AM

Louisiana
4th Grade Teacher
I really enjoyed 5th grade, 4th is better , but 5th is pretty awesome, too! Congratulations!!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:49 AM

Florida
I loved 3rd, but I loved 5th, too. Maybe because I enjoyed the curriculum more. 5th reading, math, social studies were all favorites of mine. Good luck to you. Oh, I agree with the comment about 5th graders changing some in the spring; they do get more social and more like middle schoolers (at least in their minds).
Old 04-09-2014, 10:11 AM
Cohort

Tennessee
2nd Grade Teacher
I've been teaching about 10 years now, and all of those have been in 4th and 5th grades. There's a special place in my heart for the upper elem kiddos! Like Upsadaisy, I enjoy the curriculum in the upper grades. I am ready to explore other areas of teaching, so I'm going the opposite direction and moving to 1st next year (unless it changes again). I'm looking forward to the change. You will love your 5th graders!
Old 04-09-2014, 02:51 PM
Aficionado

Upper Elementary Teacher
I love teaching 5th grade- it was my first placement I've been teaching it for 6 years now and even though I have a very trying group of 5th graders right now, I still just love how much they can do themselves and how much they tend to enjoy school.

Tags
elementary, love, upper