A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 04-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Connoisseur

Cal
Upper Elementary Teacher
Can you tell me what STEAM is?

Do you have it in your school? Do you have to be trained to have it in your school?

It stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math. This I know. Just wondering if you have it and practice it in your school and how do you "do" it.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:29 PM
Virtuoso

MICHIGAN
6th Grade Math/SS
I've had extensive STEM training. STEAM had just started taking off within the last couple of years. I've always leaned towards art, so I guess I already included the "A".

I really enjoy engineering, so I love incorporating it into my classroom. Problem solving and creating have always been a part of my classroom, so STEM was a nice way to justify it .

The biggest tip I could possibly give is to try to work away from 'recipe' experiments. (And to get very, very far from textbooks!) Inquiry and exploration are really important and recipe experiments really don't allow for that.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:39 PM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
My school is going to start training a select number of teachers in STEAM this summer. I'm one of them. WOOHOO!
Old 04-08-2014, 08:37 PM
Comrade

USA
Elementary Teacher
Steam: "the vapor into which water is converted when heated, forming a white mist of minute water droplets in the air."

Sorry...just being silly
Old 04-08-2014, 11:36 PM
Aficionado

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavens54 View Post
Do you have it in your school? Do you have to be trained to have it in your school?

It stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math. This I know. Just wondering if you have it and practice it in your school and how do you "do" it.
That's a very vague question as I understand in my particular situation. We have STEM (we don't add the A for whatever reason) classes like science and math. We have STEM clubs like robotics.

We're introducing new STEM standards with the oncoming of the NGSS. It's more just like a term we use to describe other things, rather than a thing in itself.

Within my science class we not only include the learning of scientific concepts, but we also use technology frequently, we do engineering projects to teach concepts, and we also do a lot of math, but that's the way my course is designed and was always designed. It's how the textbook was designed. I can't imagine doing science without those things because it's part of our standards as well.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:40 AM
Enthusiast

Virginia
3rd Grade Teacher
I have a big engineering project planned for my kiddos for the last month of school. We're starting it the day after our science SOL ends.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:33 AM

Way down south in Dixie!
Was PreK SPE, now HS SPE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseLover View Post
Steam: "the vapor into which water is converted when heated, forming a white mist of minute water droplets in the air."

Sorry...just being silly
Yeah, that was my thought! LOL

Old 04-09-2014, 07:19 AM
Connoisseur

Cal
Upper Elementary Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr3teacher View Post
I have a big engineering project planned for my kiddos for the last month of school. We're starting it the day after our science SOL ends.
Would you mind sharing your idea? Sounds fun.

Thanks all. I did some research on it yesterday. I was wondering if anyone actually uses it in their school. And what does it look like? How would we start it? I guess we'd get the training first of all...
Old 04-09-2014, 08:21 AM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
We're actually teaming up with a local theater company that trains students and teachers how to incorporate the performing arts into STEM in a "boot camp". The end product will be a full performance. Here's an example of what our kiddos will be doing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJnyKMcQ84E

Tags
steam